Wise Men Came from Afar
Text Illustration shared by Ed Vasicek, Highland Park Church
About Text Illustration Contributor
WISE MEN CAME FROM AFAR
Most people know that Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, but they really do not understand as much as we think they do.
In a small Southern town there was a "Nativity Scene" that showed great skill and talent had gone into creating it. One small feature bothered me. The 3 wise men were wearing firemen's helmets. Totally unable to come up with a reason or explanation, I left.
At a "Quick Stop" on the edge of town, I asked the lady behind the counter about the helmets. She exploded into a rage, yelling at me, "You Yankees never do read the Bible!" I assured her that I did, but simply couldn't recall anything about firemen in the Bible. She jerked her Bible from behind the counter and ruffled through some pages, and finally jabbed her finger at a passage. Sticking it in my face she said "See, it says right here, 'The three wise man came from afar.'"
We all need to know the details of the Christmas story AND the theology behind it.
Other text illustrations you might like
- In His Book, Science Speaks, Peter Stone...
- Kids Love Family Best at Christmas
- A Recent Poll By The Barna Research Grou...
- Most Christians Believe The Virgin Birth...
- A 1998 Report From Ball State University...
- Now – You May Be Wondering What The Red ...
- I Really Don't Like Christmas Shopping. ...
- A Recent Newsweek Poll Found That "84 Pe...
Other Related Media you might like
Comments and Shared Ideas