The Bible Found Me
Text Illustration shared by Sermon Central Staff, Outreach Inc.
About Text Illustration Contributor
THE BIBLE FOUND ME
G. Campbell Morgan had already enjoyed some success as a preacher by the time he was 19 years old. But then he was attacked by doubts about the Bible. The writings of various scientists and agnostics disturbed him (e.g., Charles Darwin, John Tyndall, Thomas Huxley, and Herbert Spencer).
As he read their books and listened to debates, Morgan became more and more perplexed. What did he do? He canceled all preaching engagements, put all the books in a cupboard and locked the door, and went to the bookstore and bought a new Bible. He said to himself, "I am no longer sure that this is what my father claims it to be--the Word of God. But of this I am sure. If it be the Word of God, and if I come to it with an unprejudiced and open mind, it will bring assurance to my soul of itself."
The result? "That Bible found me!" said Morgan. The new assurance in 1883 gave him the motivation for his preaching and teaching ministry. He devoted himself to the study and preaching of God’s Word.
(From a sermon by Jon Miller, Dealing with Doubt, 3/1/2011)
Other text illustrations you might like
- Paul And The Philippians Remembered And ...
- Henry Blackaby Said, "you Never Find God...
- I'm Not a Christian, So...
- Some Years Ago, Richard Foster Wrote A B...
- James Hedley- We Need That Attitude Of ...
- One Nice Thing About Growing Older Is Th...
- Max Lucado: Interlock Our Understandings
- If You Want to Walk on Water…
Other Related Media you might like
Comments and Shared Ideas