Text Illustration shared by Sermon Central Staff, Outreach Inc.
About Text Illustration Contributor
I donít know much about the army but here is something I read recently about those Navy Seals who shot Osama Bin Laden. Itís good to be a Navy SEAL right now. The elite sailors are being showered with praise for their successful operation in Pakistan that resulted in the killing of Osama bin Laden this week.
About 25 to 35 percent of those who enter SEAL training crash and burn during the Basic Underwater Demolition training, known as BUD/S, and never make it to become full members of the force and get their Trident pin, military sources said. Itís not just the physical demands of SEAL training that breaks sailors. ďTraditionally what has broken candidates is they canít handle it mentally,Ē said Ward Carroll, editor of Military.com.
To qualify, sailors have to pass physical, mental and intelligence screening before they can even start training. Only men ages 17-28 with good eyesight and no felony record are admitted.
After six months of initial training candidates need to be able to swim 1000 meters (.6 of a mile) in 20 minutes, do at least 70 pushups in two minutes and run four miles in under 31 minutes wearing long pants.
Then comes Hell Week: five and a half days in which candidates train for 20 hours a day, run more than 200 miles and sleep a total of just four hours.
Oh Wow! It sounds to me like those guys have to endure a great deal of hardship just to become a Navy SEAL. Arenít you glad that life isnít that hard? And the Christian life? However, no matter who you are and no matter how good of a Christian you are, you will have to endure some hardship in this life!
(From a sermon by Steve Shepherd, Life is Like..., 5/9/2011)
Other text illustrations you might like
- Pastor Andy Stanley on Getting Lost
- Older Generations Are Living Proof That ...
- Nobody Grows Old By Merely Living A Numb...
- The Older Generation Thought Nothing Of ...
- We Spend The First Half Of Our Lives Try...
- One Nice Thing About Growing Older Is Th...
- Develop Success From Failures. Discourag...
- Man Swims In The Sea Of Self-satisfactio...
- What To Do With Your Burdens
- When Life Does Not Seem Fair
- It Ain't Over
- Job Is Restored - Job Chapter Fourty Two
- Attending To The Little Things
- Do The Innocent Suffer? - Job Chapter Four
- Why Does Job Suffer? - Job Chapter Eight
- Can A Man Be Righteous Before God? - Job...
- Is Life Fair? - Job Chapter Six
- Life's Broken Window
Other Related Media you might like
Comments and Shared Ideas