In his message at the Desiring God National Conference, Francis Chan highlighted the importance of loving the people to whom he preaches. He mentioned seven questions that he asks himself in preparing to preach.
1. Am I worried about what people think of my message or what God thinks? (Teach with fear.)
2. Do I genuinely love these people? (Teach with love.)
3. Am I accurately presenting this passage? (Teach with accuracy.)
4. Am I depending on the Holy Spirit's power or my own cleverness? (Teach with power.)
5. Have I applied this message to my own life? (Teach with integrity.)
6. Will this message draw attention to me or to God? (Teach with humility.)
7. Do the people really need this message? (Teach with urgency.)
This post was originally featured on DesiringGod.com.