Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
BACKGROUND: The people of the Northern kingdom (Israel), even while thinking themselves secure, stood doomed for their rejection of the Lord and His ways.
TEXT: Amos 6:1-14
Amos 6:1 Woe to them that are at ease in Zion, and trust in the mountain of Samaria, which are named chief of the nations, to whom the house of Israel came!
"Woe" is a word of lament. Amos is lamenting the wicked lifestyles of those in Zion, which will result in the captivity and destruction noted in the last part of this chapter.
"At ease" means they were complacent, or had a false sense of security.
"Zion" was the place the temple of God stood in Jerusalem.
"Samaria" was a fortress built on a mountain overlooking Jerusalem
1 Ki 16:24 And he(Omri) bought the hill Samaria of Shemer for two talents of silver, and built on the hill, and called the name of the city which he built, after the name of Shemer, owner of the hill, Samaria.
Verse one says they trusted in the mountain of Samaria.
1. Amos preached in a time, which was similar to ours in many ways.
2. The people of Israel felt that they were the greatest nation on earth; the same as many feel about America.
3. The people of Jerusalem felt secure, because of their temple and fortress of Samaria, but they were living to steal murder, commit adultery, oppress the helpless, and follow other gods.
4. In America today sin runs rampant; abortion (the killing of the unborn) has become a way of life. Alcohol, tobacco, and drug abuse is out of control, and responsible for the killing of thousands of our people.
5. As a whole, our people are more concerned about material possessions, money, entertainment, the pursuit of pleasure, increased leisure time, etc. than they are anything about God or His church.
Realizing that we have been grafted into the vine, and are now part of the Body of Christ, the Church, I would like to re-word the verse slightly. "Woe to them who are at ease in the Church"
I. THE CHARGE IS COMPLACENCY.
Amos 6:4 That lie upon beds of ivory, and stretch themselves upon their couches, and eat the lambs out of the flock, and the calves out of the midst of the stall;
Amos 6:5 That chant to the sound of the viol, and invent to themselves instruments of music, like David;
Amos 6:6 That drink wine in bowls, and anoint themselves with the chief ointments: but they are not grieved for the affliction of Joseph.
There is a description of complacency here.
(1). Their homes, furnishings, and clothes were the best. v4a
(2). They ate the best of food, and as much as they desired. v4b
(3).Their attention was primarily on things of entertainment and pleasure.v5
(4). They drank intoxicants by the bowl full. v 6
This sounds to me like a description of America today; much of it could also be applied to the church.
(1) We must have the best in the way of homes and furniture, & clothes
(2) We eat the best of food, and to much of it.
(3) Our attention is primarily on entertainment and pleasure.
(4) There is much drunkenness and drug addition in our nation today.
II. THE CAUSE OF COMPLACENCY.
1. The people of Israel had enjoyed a time of great prosperity; they could have one of two reactions:
(1). They could react as most were doing; showing pride and boastfulness. They were living
- Giving: Yourself
- All Sermons on Giving: Yourself
- Text Illustrations on Giving: Yourself
- Video Illustrations on Giving: Yourself
- PowerPoint Template on Giving: Yourself
- Scripture on Giving: Yourself
Join the discussion