Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
2. Others will hire you but will require that you be trained.
D. Christ has qualified us for our eternal inheritance.
1. Why do we need to be qualified for our eternal inheritance, and why can’t we just go to heaven no matter what we do.
2. Many folks think we can.
3. The roadblock is our sin, and the Bible says that we are all sinners and that we are sinners from birth.
4. The wages of this sin is eternal death and separation from God in eternity and in this life.
5. Thus to receive our eternal inheritance someone has to qualify us for it.
E. Verse 14 tells what Christ has done for us.
1. “God has purchased our freedom with his blood and has forgiven all our sins.”
2. We were not free because the Bible says we are slaves to sin.
3. A slave will do the bidding of his master, and we do the bidding of our master-sin.
F. Christ has redeemed us (purchased our freedom).
1. To redeem something means to buy it back.
2. Christ has bought us back from the chains of evil and from Satan.
3. We belonged to God in the beginning, but that sinful nature that Adam and Eve acquired when they rebelled against God has now been given to all of humanity.
4. David reminds us in one of his psalms that we are sinners from birth.
5. Whereas we once belonged to God, now all humanity belongs to Satan.
6. On the cross, Christ purchased our freedom-he redeemed us.
G. Think of the kind of activity that goes on at a pawnshop.
1. A person needs some money temporarily.
2. They take an item of value to the pawn broker.
3. He or she gives them so much money and holds their item until they pay back the money.
4. The person has to redeem, or buy back, what they have pawned.
H. Our situation with our dog Sarge.
1. He had belonged to my youngest brother since he was a puppy.
2. I had always told him that I wanted him if he ever decided to get rid of him.
3. When he married the second time, his new wife wanted him gone, so she took him to the pound.
4. When I found out, I asked him to get him back and I would take him.
5. He had to pay $20 to get him back.
6. He was redeemed from certain death by my brother and us.
I. The gifted boy who carved a sailboat out of a block of wood.
1. Took it to the stream to see if it would float and sail.
2. The current was strong and carried it downstream.
3. Ran along the bank after it, but soon it was out of sight.
4. He searched until dark, but never found the boat.
5. One afternoon he was walking downtown and saw the boat in the window of a pawnshop.
6. He told the pawnbroker his story, but he was not impressed.
7. He pulled out several dollars and bought his boat.
8. As he walked away, he spoke to the boat, “Little boat, you are twice mine. I made you. And I bought you. You are twice mine.”
J. Characteristics of this eternal inheritance.
1. We will understand many things that are incomprehensible to us now.
2. Even though Christ has forgiven us of our sins, our minds are still darkened to a degree by the presence of sin.
3. The true desires of our heart will be fulfilled.
4. Augustine, early church father, said, “Thou hast formed us for Thyself, and our hearts are restless till they find their rest in Thee.”
5. Our passions will be pure and sinless because no sin will be found in our eternal inheritance.
6. Our weak and dying bodies will be transformed into heavenly
- Promises of God
- All Sermons on Promises of God
- Text Illustrations on Promises of God
- Video Illustrations on Promises of God
- PowerPoint Template on Promises of God
- Scripture on Promises of God
Join the discussion