7 Things About Gifts & Calling
Sermon shared by David Ibeleme
Summary: Understanding and appreciating your gifts and calling
Audience: Believer adults
About Sermon Contributor
2 TIM. 1:6-7; ROM. 11:29
Calling = Klesis – an invitation, a saint
God has invited us to live a crucified life, a life of victory, a kingdom-oriented lifestyle.
Gift = Charisma – root word – Charizomai
Root meaning: = deliverance from danger or passion
= miraculous faculty
= qualification (religious)
= divine gratuity
= to grant as a favour
= to forgive
1. It is a free gift – You don’t qualify for God’s gift, your gift actually qualifies you.
There are no strings attached that’s why your gift is to express God not to impress Him – 1 Cor. 12:28; Col. 1:27.
Whenever we express Him an impression is left in the hearts of man.
It is the proof that you are forgiven
It is the proof that you are saved / born again
In conclusion – every believer has been given a “free” gift by God
A qualification for spiritual expression
A miraculous faculty – you can now operate in that which is extraordinary
A point of contact for deliverance from danger – Prov. 27:8.
2. You “cannot lose” your gift and calling – you can lose or cut off your opportunity or point of contact to express it – David/Samson/Eli
You can make it dormant:
Samson’s righteousness didn’t increase with growth of his hair
You cannot stop water from being in the mains but you can stop it from flowing into your house by tuning off the stopper or clogging the lines.
Stir up your gifts 2 Tim. 1:6-7 – “If you don’t use it, you will lose it”.
3. Your gift is needed to complete or complement the body of Christ –
Eph. 4:16; Eph. 3:14ff, Rom. 12:1ff; 1 Pet. 4:10ff.
Your gift is an integral part of the body of Christ – Eph.4:7-11.
4. Your spiritual gift needs a yielded body and a renewed mind to be properly expressed – Rom. 12:1-5; 1 Thess. 5:23.
The usefulness of your gift is in this physical / material realm
We have this treasure in earthen vessels – 2 Cor. 4:7.
The material world helps us to appreciate the concept of growth
5. You can only express your gifts by faith – Rom. 12:3 & 6.
You’ve got to believe in it – Prov. 17:8.
Your faith in your gift expresses your faith in the giver; God – 2 Cor.1:19ff.
6. Your gift is your key to walking in love – Rom. 12:9; Gal. 5:6.
God gave you the gift so you can express His love to others – 1 Cor. 12:31ff
Through your gift you become a gift from God to men – Eph. 4:8.
You cannot properly express your gift except in “love” – 2 Tim.1:6-7.
7. You will be rewarded for utilizing your gift properly and punished for utilizing it wrongly – 2 Tim. 4:7ff; Mt. 7:21ff.
God always rewards our faithfulness / fruitfulness – Matt. 25:14-30.
Copyright © 2005 by Rev. Dr. David Ibeleme
Victorious Faith Ministries
Tel: (868) 625-6863 • Fax: (868) 623-1020
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion