Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
* Is integrity just a quaint relic of an earlier time, a simpler time when people could be trusted and a manís word was his bond?
* Is integrity just for the naÔve, the innocent, those who donít understand how the real world works? Or is it perhaps just for the unusually holy - Mother Teresa, for instance.
* Is integrity a situational virtue - something that you live by when it benefits you, but something that you can abandon when it gets in the way of winning?
At WestShore Community Church, we consider integrity to very important, vitally important. So important that weíve made it one of our six core values, values that identify what kind of a church we are going to be. We believe in the importance of integrity for all times, for all people, and for every situation.
In a moment, weíre going to look at why this virtue is so important to us, but before we do that, letís make sure we know what weíre talking about. What is integrity, anyway? Itís a little difficult to define, itís kind of a "you know it when you see it" thing, but here are some ways of describing it:
"What you do when no oneís watching"
"On October 28, 1987, the rear door of a Metropolitan Armored Car swung open on Interstate 71 in Columbus, Ohio. Bags of cash were dumped on the highway. `It looked like snow, it was so thick,í said officer Bob Kinney, who was called to the intersection of Interstates 70 and 71 after motorists and pedestrians jammed traffic when they stopped to scoop up the $10, $20, $50 and $100 bills. Company officials refused to say how much money was lost but sources indicated it was more than $1 million."
What would you have done?
Or what about cheating on taxes? Chances of being audited are about .3% in Cleveland - lowest in the country (Cato Journal, Fall 1999).
Other definitions of integrity:
* Doing the right thing when it is disadvantageous or costly, especially when it would be easy to do the opposite.
* Acting out of principle, rather than expediency
* Keeping your word, keeping your promises
* Practicing what you preach - consistency between words and actions. [Why has Billy Graham been on Gallup Pollís List of Most Admired Men more than any other in last 50 years? Because he pratices what he preaches.]
Whatís the opposite of integrity? Lying, deception, hypocrisy, unfaithfulness.
A commitment to integrity sets us apart as children of God
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe" -- Philippians 2:14-16 (NIV)
People today are cynical, skeptical and suspicious of institutions. [Government, Law Enforcement, Judicial system, Business, Media, Science, Medical profession (HMOís), Church]. Unfortunately, this skepticism is earned. Even a few well-publicized bad apples can ruin the reputation of a whole class of people.
* For example, take the case of police corruption in the Rampart division of the LAPD. Allegations of unjustified shootings, beatings, evidence planting, false arrests and perjury. One officer admitted that he and his former partners framed 99 people over three years. More than two dozen officers have been relieved of duty, suspended without pay, fired or have quit in connection with the scandal.
- All Sermons on Faith
- Text Illustrations on Faith
- Video Illustrations on Faith
- PowerPoint Template on Faith
- Scripture on Faith
Join the discussion