Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
2 Cor. 9:15
Intro: This time of year most of us have concern about choosing just the right Christmas gifts to give to those special in our lives. Let me ask you, “Have you ever received an indescribable gift”?
Have you ever received a gift that was just beyond description?
What kind of gift would be beyond description? Maybe it carries a lot of emotional feeling with it, maybe someone very special gave it to you, and maybe because it was a complete surprise?
Illustration: Joan Lunden once featured some gift ideas that might be considered indescribable.
1. The Jaguar 220 at a price of $587,000
2. If you bought the Jaguar you might want the ultimate car wax, it retails for $3,400 for 8oz can.
3. A $300,000 gold and silver toilet seat inlaid with precious stones.
4. An $18,000 Frisbee, a $10,000 yoyo, a $12,000 mousetrap, & even a $27,000 pair of sunglasses.
5. for the grandparent who is wondering what to buy the new grandbaby, how about a $28,000 pacifier.
Such gifts stagger our imagination, don’t they? We may not be able to find words to describe such gifts, but they are not indescribable. I’m sure the advertisers can describe them. You see, every human gift is describable by someone.
Application: In 2 Corinthians 9, Paul at first is writing about human gifts. The church at Corinth is taking up offerings to give to the poor Christians in Jerusalem. He praises them for their willingness to help and reminds them that “He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly, and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.”
Then he shifts his attention from human gifts to God’s gift of Jesus. And he cannot find words to describe it. He simply says, “Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift.” (v. 15)
Some of the greatest musicians, poets, painters & sculptors have used their talents to describe this gift.
Let’s look at just four of the reasons why this gift is indescribable.
I. BECAUSE OF HIS NATURE
A. How do you describe Jesus?
1. What words would you choose?
2. How do you describe a baby born of a virgin?
3. How do you describe God in flesh?
4. How do you describe that which is spirit?
5. How do you describe what is indescribable?
B. Paul said we can’t. Words are not adequate. But yet men through out history has tried
1. In 451 the greatest theological minds of the time came together to describe Jesus.
2. “Perfect in Godhead & also perfect in manhood. Truly man of reasonable, rational soul & body. Consubstantial, co-essential with the father according to the manhood. In all things like unto us without sin. Begotten before all ages of the father according to the Godhead. And in these latter times for us & for our salvation, born of the virgin Mary & of the mother of God. According to the manhood, one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, only begotten to be acknowledged in two natures. Inconfusedly, unchangeably, indivisibly, inseparably & the distinction of natures being by no means taken away by the union, but rather the property of each nature being preserved.”
Summery: Did you understand that? Neither did I. That was mans attempt to describe the indescribable.
Even with great minds and big words we cannot adequately describe Jesus.
II. BECAUSE OF HIS PURPOSE IN COMING TO EARTH
A. The angels announced
- Lordship of Christ
- All Sermons on Lordship of Christ
- Text Illustrations on Lordship of Christ
- Video Illustrations on Lordship of Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Lordship of Christ
- Scripture on Lordship of Christ
Join the discussion