Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
I. Understanding that the feeling of guilt is universal.
A. Guilt comes from the knowledge that we have violated a moral standard.
1. Regardless of if we believe in God or not everyone has some perceived standard of morality.
2. As Christians we believe that God has clearly outlined His moral standard in the Ten Commandments.
3. Non-Christians also have a set of moral standards that they live by.
4. Guilt comes from the knowledge that we have violated the perceived moral standards that we live by.
a. We realize that we have disappointed God.
b. We realize that we have disappointed others.
c. We realize that we have disappointed ourselves.
5. We immediately condemn ourselves because of the disappointment that our failures have caused.
B. Regardless of how hard we try we cannot shed the burden of guilt that we carry.
1. We know that failure to live up to these moral standards cause destruction.
2. The violation of these moral standards is what God considers to be sin.
3. Paul made it clear that we all fail to meet the standard, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23—NIV 2011)
4. Our failures have the ability to destroy relationships.
a. Sin can destroy our relationships with others.
b. Sin can destroy our relationship with God.
c. Sin can destroy our relationship with self.
5. When we sin the Holy Spirit uses that immediate feeling of guilt to cause us to seek forgiveness from God.
6. Guilt becomes a problem when it continues to overwhelm us after we have sought forgiveness from God.
II. Understanding how God made the removal of guilt possible.
A. Christmas showed that God was aware of our inability to shed the burden of guilt.
1. The angel said that the child was to be named Jesus
- All Sermons on Christmas
- Text Illustrations on Christmas
- Video Illustrations on Christmas
- PowerPoint Template on Christmas
- Scripture on Christmas
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Matthew 1:20-1:21
- All sermons from Scott Chambers
- Sermons on Christmas
- Sermons on guilt
Join the discussion