Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
WHEN IT COMES TO JOY, THE RIGHTEOUS HAVE IT ALL OVER THE WICKED
I. (:1-4) THE BEST INSTRUMENT OF PRAISE IS A HEART FILLED WITH JOY
A. The Value of Praise
"It is good to give thanks" and "to sing praises"
B. The Testimony of Praise
1. To His Lovingkindness
in the morning I anticipate that His mercies are new every day and will continue
2. To His Faithfulness
in the evening I reflect on His goodness throughout the day
C. The Instruments of Praise
D. The Object of Praise
"to the Lord"
"to Thy name, O Most High"
to the Lord who has done great works on our behalf to make us glad
II. (:5-9) THE WICKED CANíT COMPREHEND THE GOD OF MAJESTY AND ARE DESTINED FOR DESTRUCTION
A. They Canít Comprehend the God of Majesty
1. He is Majestic in His Works
"How great are Thy works"
2. He is Majestic in His Wisdom
"Thy thoughts are very deep"
3. He is Majestic in His Worship
"on high forever" and deserves our worship
Why canít they comprehend?
they are senseless = have no knowledge
they are stupid
B. They Are Destined for Destruction
1. Their Temporary Prosperity sets them up for Destruction
"sprouted up like grass"
2. Their Destiny is in contrast to the Permanent Reign of the God of Majesty
"But Thou, O Lord, art on high forever"
3. Their Character Determines Their Destiny
a. Their Character = Wicked
enemies of God
those who do iniquity
b. Their Destiny = Destruction
will be scattered
III. (:10-15) THE RIGHTEOUS GROW STRONG AND FRUITFUL IN THE PRESENCE OF THE GOD OF MAJESTY
A. Their Growth and Strength Come from the Lord
1. Planted by the Lord
2. Grow like a cedar in Lebanon
3. Flourish like a palm tree
4. Exalted in power like the horn of a wild ox
B. Their Growth and Strength Are in the Presence of the Lord
"in the house of the Lord"
"in the courts of our God"
C. Their Mature Growth Yields the Fruit of Continued Testimony to the Lord
1. Old Age does not diminish the fruit
still full of vitality: "full of sap and very green"
2. Old Age only matures the Testimony."the Lord is upright "
"He is my rock "
"there is no unrighteousness in Him "
* * * * * * * * * *
1) The psalmist tells us the deep and profound thoughts of God are impossible for the foolish and stupid to comprehend. As a Christian with Godís Spirit in you, are there any of Godís thoughts that are still restricted from your searching out and understanding
2) Why do evildoers and wicked people seem to succeed in life, apart from Godís blessing?
3) How do the cries of your enemies impact you? Are you able to pray for them and their needs, even if they are seeking to harm you? What would God have you do?
4) Are physical limitations or advancing years any excuse to not be active about the Lordís work? What type of ministry or service can you envision doing in your later years?
Download the entire Psalms commentary in pdf format
(including notes on each psalm from other commentators)
- All Sermons on Joy
- Text Illustrations on Joy
- Video Illustrations on Joy
- PowerPoint Template on Joy
- Scripture on Joy
Join the discussion