Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
• Three tribes on each side.
Remember the tabernacle was God’s idea:
• He gave Moses the instructions how to make it.
• And the Jewish people brought their freewill offerings to Moses to pay for it,
• They were so generous in giving that Moses had to tell them to stop!
• And from these materials the tabernacle was constructed.
• After the construction was completed,
• The sanctuary was put in place and dedicated to God (Exodus chapter 40).
• Even though the glory of God moved into the sanctuary,
• It was very much an earthly building, because humans out of earthly materials built it.
And because it was an earthly building, it had several weaknesses.
• (a). For one thing,
• It would need a certain amount of repair.
• (b). Also, it was limited geographically:
• If it was pitched in one place, it could not be in another place.
• (c). And it was limited;
• It belonged to the nation of Israel and not to the whole world.
(2). IT WAS A TYPE OF SOMETHING GREATER
A tabernacle was set up.
In its first room were the lampstand, the table and the consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place.
3Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place,
The writer of this letter:
• Lists for us the various parts and furnishings of the tabernacle;
• Because, each of these carried a spiritual meaning.
• The tabernacle itself was divided into two rooms.
• Verses 2, 3 and 7 refer to these two rooms.
• The first was called the holy place;
• And a linen curtain covered the entrance to the second part.
• This second room was much smaller;
• And was called the holy of holies.
• Only the high priest,
• And only once a year was allowed to enter the ‘holy of holies.
• Each of these two divisions had their own furnishings,
• And each piece of furniture had its own special meaning.
IN THE HOLY PLACE STOOD:
(a). The seven-branched golden Lampstand (the ‘menorah’).
• This metaphor of light in the darkness;
• Is an obvious one for the presence of God with his people.
(b). The table & the consecrated bread.
• There was also a table made from acacia-wood and covered in gold;
• On this table were 12 loaves of bread, representing each tribe of Israel.
• Each Sabbath, the priests would remove the old loaves and put fresh loaves on the table;
• And the old loaves would be eaten.
• Only the priests could eat this bread,
• And they were required to eat it in the sanctuary.
• The table was called ‘the table of showbread’.
• The table was also called ‘the table of presence.’
• The metaphor, or the symbol;
• Is that the Lord is the provider of food for his people;
(c). The golden altar also stood in the holy place:
• Just in front of the veil that divided the two parts of the tabernacle.
• Stood the golden altar of incense.
• Here lambs, bulls and goats and other animals were sacrificed.
• And on one day of the year - On the day of atonement;
- Jesus Christ
- All Sermons on Jesus Christ
- Text Illustrations on Jesus Christ
- Video Illustrations on Jesus Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Jesus Christ
- Scripture on Jesus Christ
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Hebrews 9:1-9:28
- All sermons from Gordon Curley
- Sermons on Fulfillment
- Sermons on sanctuary
- Sermons on Jesus
Join the discussion