A house of stone, not of straw
Sermon shared by Andrew Rogers
Summary: — 5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
Audience: Believer adults
b. I have a sign in my offices that says “I am not a human being having a temporary spiritual experience but a spiritual being having a temporary human experience”
i. It’s all about perspective!!!
e. Why should we worship?
i. We want to passionately embrace our relationship with God
1. We get to know God as we experience Him
a. As we look at scripture we can see that the different names of God have come out of how people have experience His presence.
b. We experience
c. Corporately God is in our midst
i. Where two or three are gathered I am in their midst
ii. God inhabits the praises of His people
ii. We re-align our hearts and experience the presence of God
1. Inward ways to experience God
2. Outward ways to experience God
a. Simplicity – making our lives a little more simple
b. Solitude – getting away to be with Jesus
c. Submission -
3. If our relationship with the Lord is off it affects everything else in our lives.
a. Printer alignment
i. If you don’t get the cartridges lined up right then the quality of picture is reduced in proportion to the mis-alignment
b. Instrument tuned
i. If instruments are not tuned then the quality of music declines in proportion to the degree the instrument is out of tune
c. Concrete mixture
iii. We experience the goodness of the Lord
1. Psalm 34:8
a. Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
iv. We express joy
1. Psalm 33:1-3
a. Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him. Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy.
v. We proclaim promise
1. Joshua 21:45
a. Not one of all the Lord’s good promises to the house of Israel failed; every one was fulfilled
2. Psalm 106:12
a. Then they believed his promises and sang his praise.
vi. We pledge allegiance
1. Matthew 6:24 – No one can serve two masters
III. Reaching in to stand together
a. We are building a Christian Community
i. On this foundation of worshiping God with our whole hearts and lives He is building us together, living stones cemented together with the power of the Holy Spirit
1. Ephesians 2:22
a. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.
ii. Philippians 2:1-5
1. If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. 4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests,
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion