C. Taught Us Through Discipline
My mother taught me IRONY. "Keep crying, and I’ll give you something to cry about."
· Pic. of the new method of discipline since spanking didn’t seem to help.
IV. H - HONORABLE
• “Her children arise up, and call her blessed…” - Prov. 31:28a
A. Honor is Two-Fold
1. To be expected – (It is commanded by God to the children)
· “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” - Exod. 20:12
2. To be earned (By the mother)
a. By her conduct and character before her children.
· “Bathsheba therefore went unto king Solomon, to speak unto him for Adonijah. And the king rose up to meet her, and bowed himself unto her, and sat down on his throne, and caused a seat to be set for the king’s mother; and she sat on his right hand.” - 1 Kings 2:19
• "My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother." - George Washington (1732-1799)*
V. E - EXPLORER
A. An Explorer Removes the Boundaries in Life (Uncharted waters at times)
· Deuteronomy 6:6-7 "And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; 7 and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
1. Note two things in this passage: 1 The Word of God and 2 The normal routine of life. God said they were to intertwine.
B. The Demands of Motherhood
· Planning meals, grocery shopping, meal preparation, shopping for clothes for the family, mending, washing, and ironing, housecleaning; then there is home work and last but not least--mom’s taxi service--little league, dance class, the dentist, band practice . . . you name it. (Exploring new worlds with her children/grand children)
C. The Dangers of Motherhood
· "Cumbered" (KJV) or "distracted" (NASB) in verse 40 is the Greek, perispaw, "to be pulled, drawn away, detached, distracted, overburdened." Martha’s request in the second part of verse 40 shows us she was not only full of care and anxiety, but she was also full of resentment, self-pity, and tension. There was little or no joy in her ministry to the Savior and to others.(Because in all of her exploits, she didn’t take TIME to sit at the Savior’s feet.)
VI. R – RESPONDER*
• “Success as a parent will not be measured by our good intentions, but instead by how our children serve Jesus.” - Gary Smalley The Complete Family*
A. Concentrate On Your Child’s Heart
1. A heart that is responsive to God is the greatest inheritance that you could give to your children. (The child’s heart)
· Reacting – Doing whatever comes natural and easy in response to some stimuli.
· i.e. Hitting back when you are hit.
· Responding – The act of causing our emotions and will to behave in the way they should – loving God and others.
· “I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul [is] even as a weaned child.” - Ps. 131:2
2. We need to teach our children to respond to God’s inclinations that He gives them.