Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
DR. JERRY FALWELL
A. THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
1. I am going to begin by reading from the Declaration of Independence because it has some solid biblical truth I want you to hear.
“We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.
2. The Declaration of Independence is the greatest document (outside the Bible) in the history of mankind.
Because it promises the greatest good.
Because it has impacted the greatest number of people.
Because it provided the greatest quality of living.
Because it produced the greatest nation;
And that nation provided the greatest freedom in history,
And led to the greatest advancement of mankind this world has ever known.
3. Four Christian “Self-Evident Truths” our founding fathers believed all came from the Word of God.
a. They believed in a Creator.
(note: They capitalized the word Creator which shows their respect for God.)
b. They believed that God created them in His own image.
(note: All are created by God.)
(note: They made no allowance for evolution).
(note: God gave them right of personality, i.e. intellect, emotion and will.)
c. They believed in supernatural acts, i.e. that a supernatural Being began this universe and is responsible for giving people the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
d. They believed in moral absolutes or absolute truths which our Fathers call “inalienable rights,” and self-evident truths. (Government cannot give these rights, so Government cannot take them away. These rights came from God.
(note: Today they are called “civil rights.” I believe Government doesn’t gives us these rights . . . Government recognizes these rights.)
B. The Mayflower Compact, November, 1620.
This is the document that gave the direction to this nation.
1. “In the Name of God Almighty, we whose names are underwritten . . . having undertaken for the glory of God, and advancement of the Christian faith, . . . a voyage to plan the first colony in northern Virginia (they were in Massachusetts); do by these present, solemnly and mutually in the presence of God and one another, covenant and combine ourselves together into a civil body politick . . .”
2. Three biblical truths those on board the Mayflower believed:
(a) They believed the new nation would glorify God.
(b) They believed the new nation would extend Christianity, i.e. “the advancement of the Christian faith.”
(c) They believed their authority was from God. They planted a colony “in the name of Almighty God.” What have you done in the name of God or for the glory of God?
C. THREE BIBLE REFERENCES
“Blessed is the nation, whose God is the Lord”
(Ps. 33:72). This verse tells me God has blessed America because we have made God to be our Lord. What will happen when we make other things our Lord, i.e. money, sex greed, pleasure, etc.?
“Righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people” (Proverbs 14:34). The Bible promises that we would be blessed when we followed righteousness, and we have had abundant blessings.
- All Sermons on Principles
- Text Illustrations on Principles
- Video Illustrations on Principles
- PowerPoint Template on Principles
- Scripture on Principles
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Proverbs 14:34-14:34
- All sermons from Jerry Falwell
- Sermons on Independence
- Sermons on Memorial Day
Join the discussion