A Widow, A Pot Of Oil, And God
Sermon shared by Bo Dunford
Summary: God always takes care of His own!
Audience: Believer adults
* Elisha said to the troubled widow, "Go borrow thee vessels abroad of all thy ......."
A) To the logical, but unbelieving mind, it would appear silly to get a lot of empty vessels to hold
oil when one did not know where the oil was coming from!
* But those who get help from God must provide the empty vessels!
B) For the poor widow to go out & appeal to her neighbors that she might borrow empty vessels,
lots of empty vessels, would be a real test of her faith! * Let me illustrate:
* "Hello Mrs. Jacobson, may I borrow all the vessels you can spare? I’d like to borrow the churn,
milk pail, vinegar jugs, syrup buckets, water jars, anything you can spare!"
C) I can imagine the raised eyebrows of Mrs. Jacobson. * Surely she is glad to let her widowed
neighbor borrow some vessels, but what in the world is she gonna do with so many?
* Fill them with oil? * But where will the oil come from? Out of that one little pot of oil she has?
* Then the explanation! * The prophet of God said she should get plenty of vessels and that God
would fill them all! * And she could sell enough to pay all of her debts!
D) Some of the neighbors probably laughed at her! * Another would smile and say,
* "She’s off her rocker, she’s lost it." * Some probably insisted that she must not depend on
such foolishness, that prophet aint right, she ought not listen to him like that .......!
E) And I can imagine that as the widow and her sons brought all the vessels home to the bare house,
fear gripped the widow’s heart and she thought she would surely die of shame,
* If she had to carry all those vessels back & tell all the curious, gossipy neighbors that after all,
God did not furnish oil to fill them all.
F) She had faith in God and in the prophet of God! * God wants empty vessels, He can fill ’em!
* Some people are not filled with the Holy Spirit! * Perhaps the reason is that they have not been
emptied of other things!
* The cares of this world & the deceitfulness of riches so choke the Word that it becomes unfruitful!
* And too much to eat at the tables of this world means that one does not feed upon the manna
from heaven! * May we, like this poor widow woman in the days of Elisha,
* Get empty vessels & set them down where God can fill them with oil!
(4) THE MIRACLE BEHIND CLOSED DOORS! * Elisha said to the widow in v.4 .......
* This miracle and work of faith was not to be seen by outsiders!
* It may be that some of the neighbors from whom the vessels were borrowed, never quite
believed that God had multiplied the oil so that it filled all the vessels!
A) Were there any witnesses besides the family?
* Plenty of people in the community, no doubt, thought that the age of miracles was past since
they themselves never saw one! * Are there miracles in the world today?
* If there are, they don’t happen before the annual meeting of the American Association For The
Advancement Of Science!
B) You can be sure that in most cases where God heals the body of some humble Christian,
wonderfully releasing him from the pain and giving health and strength,
* There is no committee of Doctors present to see the miracle take place!
C) When Jesus would raise from the dead the little daughter of the ruler of the synagogue, the
people laughed Him to scorn. * But
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion