Title: Abounding Love of God
Text: I John 4:8-10
Intro: A man saw a sign in a flower shop that read, “Say it with flowers.” The man went in and told the clerk to give him one red rose. The clerk looking puzzled at the request had to ask the man “why just one rose?” To which the man replied, “I am a man of few words.” Sometimes we have a hard time understanding God’s love for us. God’s love for us goes beyond human comprehension, He does not love the way that we do. God does not love us for what we have to offer, or how we look, or if He can get anything in return. I want you to see that there are four important aspects to God’s love.
I. God’s Love is Sacrificial
1. Many would say “Well God doesn’t love me or I would not be going through this or that”
2. I have never felt or seen God’s love for me
3. People he died for you what more could you ask?
4. He left His throne in Heaven; took on the form as man; walked this earth; endured ridicule, persecution, & rejection. Bled suffered and died, why because he loved you.
5. This world says that if you do not get what you want out of a relationship that you need to move on to the next one.
ILL. Marriage ceremony “For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness or in health, till death do us part.” It is all about loving through sacrifice.
6. This world has the idea that we will stay together but if things don’t go the way we want or if something better comes along we will give up.
7. Aren’t you so glad that is not how God loves us?
ILL. Little boy who’s sister needed a transfusion of his blood the doctors ask him would he give his blood so that has sister could live. “Sure,” he told the doctors. As they took him into the operating room He looked at the instruments and at his little sister, he watched as they put the needle into his arm and the blood began to flow from his arm into his little sister. With a tear in his eye he turned to the doctor and ask, “When do I die?” He was ready to give it all for her.
II. God’s Love is Unconditional
ILL. Hettie Green was a famous millionaire. She lived in seclusion and became a virtual recluse. She had only a few friends and an ugly mongrel dog that kept biting the few friends that she did have. One of the friends told her, “You’ve got to get rid of that dog.” Hettie refused. She said, “that dog loves me and he doesn’t know how rich I am.”
1. Look at Romans 5:5-8
Romans 5:5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. (God’s love is poured out through the Holy Ghost)
Romans 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. (without strength means we had nothing to give but He died for us anyway)
Romans 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. (most would not die for a good person but God’s love was such that when we had nothing was nothing no hope of being something He died for us)
Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.