Summary: If we can get a glimpse of Who Jesus is in all His majesty, we would be more zealous to follow Him.
An Unusual Easter Text: The Ascended Jesus
1. Some things are too good to be believable.
2. Here is an actual quotation from a supervisor at 3M who was speaking to an employee who had quickly solved a long-standing problem:
"Doing it right is no excuse for not meeting the schedule. No one will believe you solved this problem in one day! We’ve been working on it for months. Now, go act busy for a few weeks and I’ll let you know when it’s time to tell them."
3. In like manner, many people cannot accept the simplicity of salvation; we simply put our destiny into the hands of Jesus who loved us and gave His life for us.
4. But salvation, though simple to explain, is not a matter of mere intellect.
5. A person must be willing to trust Christ, and the kind of faith that saves a person also affects his life. A dead faith saves no one.
6. But, even with the great change produced by genuine conversion, the Christian life can become routine and lackluster. It happens to us all. It is during such times that we need a fresh look at the Savior.
Main Idea: If we can get a glimpse of Who Jesus is in all His majesty, we would be more zealous to follow Him.
I. Jesus is Both Messiah and the ANCIENT of Days (12-16)
1. This vision of Jesus shows His true nature
2. John had not heard Jesus’ voice for over 60 years; now He hears it powerfully -- it is different…
3. Jesus is walking among the lampstands (the churches)
4. David Guzik writes: "The Old Covenant lampstand was one lampstand with seven lamps on it. Here in the New Covenant, we see seven lampstands. "
5. Christ is the head of each true church…
A. The ROBE denotes His priestly function
(prophet while on earth, priest now, returns as King)
1. Why do we need a priest? Because you and I still sin.
2. What happens when I sin? How do we keep Jesus busy?
3. Because we are saved and forgiven does not mean we should take sin lightly; God doesn’t.
4. "One of the duties of the Old Testament priests was to tend the golden lampstand in the tabernacle. Every day they had to fill the oil, clean the soot, and trim the wicks. They had to closely inspect and care for the lamps so they would burn continually before the Lord. Here is Jesus, our High Priest, in the midst of the seven lampstands, carefully inspecting and caring for the lamps, helping them to always burn brightly before the Lord." David Guzik
B. White hair denotes His ETERNALITY and WISDOM
Daniel 7:9, "As I looked, thrones were set in place, and the Ancient of Days took his seat. His clothing was as white as snow; the hair of his head was white like wool. His throne was flaming with fire, and its wheels were all ablaze."
Daniels 7:13-14, "In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence. He was given authority, glory and sovereign power; all peoples, nations and men of every language worshiped him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and his kingdom is one that will never be destroyed.