Sermon shared by Michael Luke
Summary: We all need another chance. God graciously offers it if we’ll just accept it.
Denomination: Christian/Church of Christ
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
TEXT: JOHN 21:15-19
TITLE: “ANOTHER CHANCE”
INTRODUCTION: A. I read about a fellow who definitely needs another chance in the employment scene.
This fellow described his plight this way:
1. My first job was working in an orange-juice factory, but I got canned because I
2. Then I worked in the woods as a lumberjack, but I just couldn’t hack it, so they
gave me the axe.
3. After that, I tried to be a tailor but I just wasn’t suited for it; mainly because it was
a sew-sew job
4. Next, I tried working in a muffler factory but that was exhausting.
5. I wanted to be a barber but I just couldn’t cut it.
6. Then I tried to be a chef – I figured it would add a little spice to my life.
7. Finally, I attempted to be a deli-worker but any way I sliced it I just couldn’t cut
8. My best job was being a musician but eventually I found I wasn’t noteworthy.
9. I studied a long time to be a doctor but I didn’t have any patients.
10. My next job was in a shoe factory. I tried it but I just didn’t fit in.
11. I became a professional fisherman but discovered that I couldn’t live on my net
12. I managed to get a good job working for a pool maintenance company but the
work was just too draining.
13. Then I got a job at the zoo feeding giraffes but I was fired because I wasn’t up to it
14. So then I got a job in a health club but they said I wasn’t fit for the position.
15. Next, I found being an electrician interesting but the work was too shocking
16. After many years of trying to find steady work, I finally got a job as a historian –
until I realized there was no future in it.
17. My last job was working at a gourmet coffee shop but I had to quit because it was
always the same old grind.
--He concluded his story by saying: You got any ideas? I’m open for suggestions.
Maybe you have something that WORKS – because I don’t!
B. Have you ever been in a position where you needed another chance?
--I’m sure that if we’ll answer honestly, we’d all have to admit to being in that
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion