Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Open In Prayer
I. Read: 1 Thess 5:17 ďPray without ceasingĒ
A. God wants us to become a praying church. And that is what we must do in order for our church to grow.
1. As I have told you in the past, Paul is not telling us to pray 24hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
2. We all now that we canít do that. But we can remain in the attitude of prayer.
a. We should have scheduled times of daily prayer.
1) Iím sure, if we took a pole, that 98% if not 100% of us, could admit that we donít pray enough.
II. Read: Eph 6:18
A. Praying always with all prayer and supplication, meaning: We must pray on all occasions and with all kinds of prayer; petition; humble request:
1. Public, private, secret, social, solitary, solemn and sudden;
2. With all the parts of prayer: confession of sin, petition for mercy, and thanksgivings for favors and blessings received.
B. In the spirit: means with the Spirits help. Holy-Spirit assisted prayer
1. Does not just mean ďspeaking in other tonguesĒ
a. Oft times while praying for others, the Holy Spirit will guide you with the proper Words, in your own language, to pray. He gives you the words.
C. Watching there unto: means being vigilant in this matter of prayer.
1. Keeping our hearts in a praying frame.
2. Taking all opportunities to pray.
D. With all perseverance: means continued effort
1. Even when we get tired, even when things feel or look hopeless in the flesh. Donít give up!
2. Even when things in our outward circumstances change, we must continue to pray and not give up.
E. Supplication for all saints: means prayer and humble petitions for everyone:
1. Your family and friends, your pastors, and their families, your country, president and government leaders, other churches, etc.
F. Prayer offered in faith is manís most powerful resource.
1. It is part of our armor in Spiritual Warfare.
2. Through prayer, given in faith, we may induce God to grant our hearts desire.
III. Read: 1 Timothy 2:1-4
A. I exhort therefore, that, first of all: Paul is exhorting Timothy to teach the saints the importance of prayer.
1. I exhort and first of all: expresses the urgency in the matter.
2. The saints of God do not pray enough!
3. The need for constant prayer has never been more urgent.
a. These are the end times, and they are not going to get any better.
b. Satan is working harder than he ever has to tear down the Church.
c. He is working harder than ever to torment and destroy you.
B. supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks
1. The importance of prayer
a. Supplications: Praying humbly with petitions to God
b. Prayers: All kinds
c. Intercessions: Praying for others
d. Giving thanks: For all things
2. The giving of thanks is not just to be a phrase at the end of a prayer.
a. But be thankful in detail for things that God has done for you near the beginning of your prayer.
b. When you give thanks, donít always generalize everything so you can hurry up and be done but be specific in what you are thankful for.
c. Let God know how much you love and appreciate what He has done for you.
d. God does not get enough praise and worship from His children.
C. Be made for all men: this statement runs right into verse 2. And again indicates the same as Eph 6:18 to pray for all saints, but this verse
- Prayer: Supplication
- All Sermons on Prayer: Supplication
- Text Illustrations on Prayer: Supplication
- Video Illustrations on Prayer: Supplication
- PowerPoint Template on Prayer: Supplication
- Scripture on Prayer: Supplication
Join the discussion