Bending God's Ear
Sermon shared by Mike Turner
1. Bow down thine ear, O Lord, hear me: for I am poor and needy.
2. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee.
3. Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily.
4. Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
5. For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.
6. Give ear, O Lord, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.
7. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.
8. Among the gods there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither are there any works like unto thy works.
9. All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.
10. For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.
11. Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.
12. I will praise thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name for evermore.
13. For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.
14. O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set thee before them.
15. But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.
16. O turn unto me, and have mercy upon me; give thy strength unto thy servant, and save the son of thine handmaid.
17. Shew me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because thou, Lord, hast holpen me, and comforted me.
Have you ever said to someone.....ĒCan I bend your ear ?Ē
This infers that you need to have the attention of that person. Here in this Psalm the writer expresses a desire to bend the ear of God ! Bow down thine ear, O LORD hear me: for I am poor and needy. Do you need to bend Godís ear tonight ? Is there something you need to tell him ? Some request that u have of him....some sin that u need to confess......how can we bend the ear of God.....letís find out by looking at this Psalm together.
I. Notice The Author
a. See His Superiority
This is King David. The shepherd boy who was chosen to be the supreme ruler over Israel.
b. See His Substance.
He is not lacking in provisions.....nor supplies. He is the King and has a vast domain at his disposal.
c. See His Servants.
This man as King has servants that await his beckoning call.
In spite of who he is, and what he has....what he desires more than anything else is to bend the ear of God.....he wantís to have an audience with God.
II. Notice The Approach.
In bending the ear of God.....our approach to him is vitally important.
In listening to some tv preachers.....they seem to forget whoís the servant, and who is God.........in their prayers they demand God to do things as though he is to listen