Summary: Part of our destiny as Christians involves our family life. God’s Word gives us several keys to having strong and healthy family relationships.
• How do we experience that intimacy? Through communication. (teach on this more later)
• EXAMPLE: Liza and I make a commitment o in our relationship to go on dates – like our weekly breakfasts, or time together after the kids go to bed.
PRACTICAL APPLICATION: DIVINE ORDER:
Building our families according to God’s plan:
“21 submit to one another in the fear of God. 22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.” (Ephesians 5:21-33).
• Wives are to submit to and respect their husbands
• Husbands are to unconditionally love their wives as Christ loved the church.
• Our marriage home group recently went through the book Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs, which explains in details this empowering cycle in marriages.
“1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 "Honor your father and mother," which is the first commandment with promise: 3 "that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth." 4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.” (Ephesians 6:1-4).
• Children are to obey and honour their parents.
• Fathers need to make sure they don’t provoke their children to wrath.
CLOSING: Prayer of blessing for families.
Bibliography: Family: A Christian Perspective on the Contemporary Home by Jack and Judith Balswick.
Beausejour Community Church Website: www.beausejourchurch.ca
Pastor Chris Jordan’s Blog: http://thelandofpromise.blogspot.com/