Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
2 Timothy 3:14
says, “But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them.”
[scroll down for outline]
ILL.- Joe: “My college really turned out some great men.”
Bill: “When did you graduate?”
Joe: “I didn’t graduate. I was turned out.”
Graduates, you’ve turned out alright…you’ve turned out great! You’ve learned a lot from many teachers, including your parents God gave you…and your parents learned so much too…not the least of which is how to make Budweiser [send him to school!] And you learned many things, including how to make antifreeze [hide her nightie!]
You’re older and wiser…
ILL.- Kyle walked up to his teacher’s desk, holding a report card with a big red F. He said, "If I were you I would change this while you still can."
"Why is that?" asked the teacher.
"Because my dad told me that if I brought home one more failing report card, someone was going to get a beating."
You’ve become role models for many of the younger ones here who look up to you…you’ve become a teacher yourself! You should recognize the power of your influence and step up to the place of leadership, by always being a learner and continuing to look for wisdom.
ILL.- A school teacher injured his back in the summertime and had to wear a plaster cast around the upper part of his body for weeks. It fit under his shirt and was not noticeable at all. He transferred to a new inner-city school on top of that. On the first day of school, still with the cast under his shirt, he found himself assigned to the toughest students in that rowdy school.
Walking confidently into the rowdy classroom, he opened the window as wide as possible and then busied himself with desk work. When a strong breeze made his tie flap, he took the desk stapler and stapled the tie to his chest. From that time on he had no trouble with discipline in his class.
You’ve earned some respect…you’ve sharpened your edge…but don’t “fly off the handle” in the pride”, rather, whet the edge and keep your edge in life! Many adults lose their cutting edge by not remaining learners, growing complacent, and ceasing to go forward.
• You have been in school now for 2160 days.
• You have spent 12,960 hours in classes.
• That translates into 777,600 minutes.
• So far you’ve lived approximately 18 years.
• You’ve been around 216 months.
• You have been breathing 936 weeks.
• You’ve been going through the motions for 6,552 days
• You’ve been here 157,248 hours.
• You’ve been taking up space 9,434,880 minutes.
• You’ve slept 52,500 hours.
• You’ve watched T.V. 12,173 hours.
• You’ve spent 7,488 hours eating.
• If You live the average life span of 70 years, or as the
Bible says 3 score and 10, You’ll...
• SLEEP ............24 YEARS
• WORK ............14 YEARS
• PLAY ............ 8 YEARS
• EAT ............ 6 YEARS
• DRIVE .............5 YEARS
• TALK .............4 YEARS
• GO TO SCHOOL.. ....3 YEARS
• SICK .............3 YEARS
• STUDY & READ.......3 YEARS
• MOST OF YOU WERE BORN in the mid to late 80’s
YOU WERE WRINKLED, RED, BALD, TOOTHLESS, COULDN’T HARDLY SEE, CRYING, COMPLAINING, AND HAD NO CLOTHES ON.
Well, you’ve come a long way, baby! You’ve reached a milestone. But this is not the end…it’s really just the beginning! You’ve come to the end of a big
- All Sermons on Endurance
- Text Illustrations on Endurance
- Video Illustrations on Endurance
- PowerPoint Template on Endurance
- Scripture on Endurance
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to 2 Timothy 3:14-3:14
- All sermons from Jerry Shirley
- Sermons on graduation
Join the discussion