Sermon shared by J. Brad Campbell
Summary: this is the sixth sermon in this series dealing with things that will keep our prayers from being answered
Audience: General adults
We have a new way of doing things
A new way of praying
New reasons and motives
Many pray for revival
Many pray for church growth
These are not bad things God wants our church to grow
- He wants us to have revival
- He wants to pour his spirit out upon us
But ask yourself
Why do we pray for these things?
Do we pray for revival out of selfish motives?
- So we can boast of a greater attendance
- Or a greater membership
- So we can have greater influence in our community
- So that we can give a good report at conference
Or do we pray for revival because
- We canít bear to see lost souls going to hell
- We hear the cry of the lost
- The hopelessness of this generation
- We hunger for others to know the love of God
1 Cor 10:6
6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted.
1 Pet 2:11
11 Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;
I Jn 2:16-17
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
The danger of praying amiss or praying with a wrong attitude
is that you will be led into captivity.
The devil hears your prayers
Many times he is right there leaning over your shoulder
- Listening in
- Eaves dropping
On your conversation with God
He hears our prayer
And if he knows your attitude is wrong he is going to try to answers your prayer.
- Knowing it will lead you astray
- Knowing it will lead you into bondage
Youíre praying for a husband or wife
- So the devil sends along this Romeo
- He isnít saved
- He doesnít want to live for God
But you think God has answered your prayers because he is every thing you ever dreamed about
Or along comes Juliet
- She is perfect
- Every thing you ever wanted in a women and more
But be careful because she is going to lead you into bondage.
- She is going to lead you astray.
- Right out of the will of God
I have seen others pray for jobs
- Suddenly they are offered the perfect job
- The best pay they have ever had
- A company car
The only catch is they have to
- Move to another city
- Work on weekends
Be careful of who is answering your prayers
If you are praying with a wrong attitude or motives the devil will try to use your very prayers to lead you into captivity.
I Jn 3:22
22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.
I Jn 5:14
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
God will hear our prayers
He is faithful to answer those prayers
The key in these two scriptures is that we
We ask for things that are
- Pleasing in His sight
- And according to His will
His will is that none perish and if by not answering some of your prayers He can keep you from
- Destroying yourself
- Captivity to the things of this world
Then those prayers will never be answered
Many times we feel God is not hearing our prayers because
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion