Come and See #1: Jesus is... the Word
Sermon shared by Chris Jordan
Summary: In the Gospel of John, we are invited to “come and see” what Jesus is like. John reveals Jesus to us through His seven “I am” claims, seven miracles, and seven sermons.
Series: Come and See
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
COME AND SEE #1: JESUS IS… THE WORD
JOKE: A hunter walking through the jungle found a huge dead elephant with a pigmy standing beside it. Amazed, he asked: "Did you kill that?" The pigmy said, "Yes." The hunter asked, "How could a little guy like you kill a huge beast like that?" "I killed it with my club." The astonished hunter asked, "How big is your club?" The pigmy replied, "There's about 60 of us."
INTRO TO THE AUTHOR JOHN:
• He and his brother James and father Zebedee had a fishing business.
• One of the 12 disciples, also part of the inner circle of three with James and Peter.
• He was the beloved disciple, the one whom Jesus loved. He was an amazing pastor.
• When Jesus died on the Cross, He asked John to take care of His mother Mary.
• He wrote five books of the New Testament: John, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John & Revelation.
• He was the only one of the 11 faithful disciples who wasn’t martyred for his faith (though not for lack of trying on the part of the Romans – boiling him in oil).
• He was exiled to Patmos where Jesus gave him the Revelation.
• Not to be confused with John the Baptist who came to prepare the way for Jesus.
INTRO TO THE GOSPEL OF JOHN:
• In the New Testament, there are four Gospels – accounts of the life of Jesus.
• Matthew wrote to the Jews, Mark wrote to the Romans, and Luke wrote to the Greeks.
• John’s Purpose: “And truly Jesus did many other signs in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.” (John 20:30-31).
o 1. Who Jesus is and how to know Him more (Christ, Son of God).
o 2. How you can experience abundant life through believing in Jesus today.
• We see this in John’s seven “I am” claims of Jesus, seven miracles, and seven sermons.
THE SEVEN I AM CLAIMS OF JESUS:
1. “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.” (John 6:35). Jesus is the one who satisfies our souls.
2. “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” (John 8:12). Jesus is the one who gives us direction in life.
3. “I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.” (John 10:9). Jesus is the one who saves us.
4. “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.” (John 10:11). Jesus is the one who cares for and meets our needs and ultimately died for us.
5. “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live” (John 11:25). Jesus is the one who raises us from the dead. (From the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead – we will have a Healing Service this week!)
6. “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6). Jesus is the only way to Heaven. Think about the awesomeness of Heaven!
7. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5). Jesus is our everything!
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion