Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
I Peter 3:15
SCRIPTURE READING: I Peter 3:15
Today we’re going to deal with the Dan Brown novel and Movie called the Da Vinci Code. In the Da Vinci Code Dan Brown mixes old heresies and new religio-feminist dogma with his own imagination to write an adventure story … that also just happens to be an all-out attack on Christian belief.
I guess you can see my opinion of it from the title of this sermon. Maybe you’re wondering “Why bother talking about a movie at church. No one would believe fiction over the time-tested truths of Scripture.” Haven’t you noticed that while you’re watching a good movie, you tend to “suspend belief” and get caught up in the world on that big screen. Slick packaging draws people in.
Maybe you think people now-a-days are anything but gullible. After all, we are the most educated people in history. We know better than to fall for propaganda, sales hype or superstitions … right? Here’s a little test to see if you’re gullible:
You might be gullible if you …
• Get a call that you have just won a free luxury vacation on a tropical island --- so you rush out to pick up your prize … and you come back with a condo-time-share in Eagle Pass. (Okay, I know that one from personal experience…)
• Give out your bank information on line when you get an e-mail that says: “You don’t know me, but I inherited fifty million dollars and I just need an account to deposit it in.”
• Give up eating sweetener, refined sugar, white bread, red meat, canned vegetables, processed cheese, and p-nut butter … because someone on the Internet says they give you cancer.
• Go on a big spending spree because you got a thousand dollar check in the mail … from a car dealership.
• Really believe God won’t answer your prayers unless you forward that chain letter to your 10 closest friends.
• Bet your eternal salvation on the latest religious fad in Hollywood.
I got to thinking, what would I know about God if I followed the doctrines of Hollywood. Well, I’d know he looked like George Burns and he sometimes loaned his power to people like Bruce Almighty. But then again, Shirley McClain went out on a beach and shouted, “I am god!” so where does that fit in? Maybe I’d go with New Age or try Wicca or Scientology.
And what would I believe about Jesus? From the old movies I’d know he had blue eyes and talked with a British accent. From more recent movies like The Last Temptation of Christ, I’d learn He was a tormented and sinful man who died needlessly. And from this newest Hollywood rendition…?
Well, let me summarize the premise of The Da Vinci Code. The title comes from the idea that Leonardo Da Vince left clues (a “code”) in his paintings. According to the “Code,” Church leaders have been engaged in a diabolical conspiracy for the last 2000 years.
According to Dan Brown’s novel, early Christians never believed Jesus was the Son of God. He was a Rabbi … who was married to Mary Magdalene. Their offspring were ancestors to a line of European Royalty. Jesus wanted Mary Magdalene to run the church, but Peter took it over. Then, about 300 years later, the Council of Nicaea burned a bunch of “gospels” that told the truth about Jesus and took a vote to start calling him The Son of God.
So, where does Leonardo Da Vince come in? Well --- here’s one example of the
- False Teaching
- All Sermons on False Teaching
- Text Illustrations on False Teaching
- Video Illustrations on False Teaching
- PowerPoint Template on False Teaching
- Scripture on False Teaching
Join the discussion