Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
SCRIPTURE: ST. MARK 5:21-43
This is a challenging and exciting text to preach. There are actually two separate INCIDENCES in these versus that can actually stand alone. However; more often than not, the two ENCOUNTERS are ordinarily combined in a teaching and or preaching effort. My focus will be upon the initial contact with Jesus and briefly touch upon the INTERRUPTION encountered along the way. I am feeling we need to give some attention to the importance of an Interruption in our spiritual walk.
In our text we are quickly introduced to a man by the name of JAIRUS. He was a religious leader who had many religious responsibilities among his people. Jairus - a ruler of the synagogue, a holy man, ONE THAT BELIEVED IN GOD.
• This was a man acquainted with problems such as his own
• There were many from his synagogue over the years that he had tried to comfort when they had lost loved ones
• Many in the synagogue over the years called upon Pastor Jairus to visit them at the hospital after some sickness – accident – tragedy
• He had made many home visits over the years to welcome new members as well as share in their grief process
We find this WELL RESPECTED Religious Leader now faced with what may become a REAL TRAGEDY that has taken up Residence in his own home. The Bible calls to our attention that HIS DAUGHTER lay sick in bed.
• He had the best HMO
• Primary Care Physician had already made their diagnosis
• They had tried everything they knew to do
• The doctors had finally said, “It’s no use she’s dying”
• There is nothing else we can do
• Any parent that has ever had a child sick knows what the Emotional toll it plays
• He may have questioned God, or even blamed God for his misfortune
• A feeling of anger mixed with self-pity
I can feel the ANGUISH of this Father. I can only imagine the many Mixed Emotions he must have been WRESTLING with.
• Wanting to scream and holler but not knowing who to scream and holler at
• A feeling of helplessness and yet a great desire to do something but not knowing what to do
• Even begin to think – God I have been serving you best I know how and now this….
In the anguish of this Religious Leader, he now remembers this young Rabbi he has heard so much about. The Rabbi has been turning the Pharisees and Scribes viewpoint on Religion upside down. He remembers hearing about this young Rabbi that has been teaching in the local Synagogues and drawing Huge Crowds. Matter of fact, the whole city had just attended one of his teaching sessions. He remembers having heard of this man that had the POWER TO HEAL.
• He had healed a man with a withered hand
• And of course there was a tale about an insane man that lived among the tombs, they said this Rabbi Jesus healed him
• He heard the story about a wedding where this Rabbi turned Water into Wine
• Whether he is a true prophet or whether he is a charlatan Jairus didn’t know
• All he knew was that his daughter was sick and he needed help
I am not sure how Jairus knew how to find Jesus on this particular day in the midst of his Tremendous Need. Jesus just DISEMBARKS from a ship having crossed
- Faith: General
- All Sermons on Faith: General
- Text Illustrations on Faith: General
- Video Illustrations on Faith: General
- PowerPoint Template on Faith: General
- Scripture on Faith: General
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Mark 5:21-5:43
- All sermons from Wayne Lawson
- Sermons on Faith
- Sermons on Trust
Join the discussion