— Part of this was in an issue of Leadership magazine: Charles Swindoll
– Movie – 1966 “Stop the World I Want to Get Off”
Songs: "What Kind of Fool Am I?" "Gonna Climb A Mountain," "Once in a Lifetime,"
Line in movie
I want my life back. What life I want back exactly is not clear to me yet, but a life where I don’t have to constantly wish for my life back.
— I just want to live mindlessly from day to day.
- Stagnate - exist in a changeless situation - stand still, decay, decline, fester, choke
- Atrophy is the partial or complete wasting away of a part of the body. Causes of atrophy include poor nourishment, poor circulation, or loss of muscle tissue resulting from disease .
A Stagnated Life Jn 5
v.1 - FEAST - Holiday - Celebration
v. 2 - SHEEP MARKET - Place to trade
- BETHESDA - House of Mercy, Place of mercy
v. 3 - IMPOTANT - Weak Sick
BLIND, - HALT, Lame - WITHERED Paralyzed
v. 4 - Modern translations leave this verse out
Our own words - Look for a Sign - Miracle - Lottery
Never going to happen
v. 5 WHICH HAD AN INFIRMITY
- Does not identify has sickness - His stagnation
- Can be any of us
- Never too late to change
- Man Stagnated for 38 years
- Almost as long as Israel in the Wilderness
v. 6 - JESUS SAW - JESUS KNEW
- We are never outside of Grace
WILT THOU BE MADE WHOLE?
- To restore completely inside & out
v. 7 - I HAVE NO MAN
- Excuse - Blame - My Reasons
v. 8 - RISE, TAKE UP THY BED, AND WALK
- It is not according to our abilities or strength
- It is according to His authority
v. 9 - IMMEDIATELY THE MAN WAS MADE WHOLE
Based on what you believe
Who are you going to trust
"If you wait for perfect conditions, you’ll never get anything done." (Ecclesiastes 11:4, LB)
Stagnation is dangerous.
- Leonardo da Vinci
Iron rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation ... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind
Moving From Stagnation To Stimulation
There are three common motivators:
PAIN: Often it’s not "seeing the light" that gets us going, but "feeling the heat.” You delay the dentist appointment until the pain is unbearable.
PRESSURE: When the doctor says "Lose 50 pounds or die," or the boss says "Improve performance or be fired," that pressure will motivate you to make a change. The problem with pressure as a motivator is that it doesn’t last. When the pressure subsides, so does your motivation. There is a better motivator.
PERSPECTIVE: When you see the big picture, or when you’re inspired by a challenging vision or purpose, you’ve found the best motivator of all – perspective. You realize that you’re wasting your potential.
The Bible says, "If you wait for perfect conditions, you’ll never get anything done." (Ecclesiastes 11:4, LB)
Four Ways To Stop Life’s Stagnation
1. ACCEPT responsibility for your own life. Refuse to be either an excuser (rationalize failure) or an accuser (blame others). Instead, be a chooser, and choose to break out of the rut you’re in.
2. ANALYZE - What do you really want. Write down specifically how you’d like to change.
3. AFFIRM - Stop saying "I can’t" and start saying "I can."