Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
III. HE DEFILE HIS OWN BODY (14:8-9)
THE NAZARITE'S CONSECRATION:
Num 6:3 Nazirites must never drink wine, liquor, vinegar made from wine or liquor, or any kind of grape juice, and they must never eat fresh grapes or raisins.
Num 6:5 "As long as they are under the Nazirite vow, no razor may touch their heads. During the entire time that they are dedicated to the LORD as Nazirites, they will be holy. They must let their hair grow long.
Num 6:6 While they are dedicated to the LORD as Nazirites, they must never go near a dead body.
Jdg 14:8 Later, Samson returned to Timnah for the wedding. And when he came near the place where the lion had attacked, he left the road to see what was left of the lion. He was surprised to see that bees were living in the lion's skeleton, and that they had made some honey.
Jdg 14:9 He scooped up the honey in his hands and ate some of it as he walked along. When he got back to his parents, he gave them some of the honey, and they ate it too. But he didn't tell them he had found the honey in the skeleton of a lion.
He defile himself just to enjoy a little honey in the carcass of a lion. In our lives, it might be a bad movies, book, friendship, party.
• Honey: Temptation
• Carcass: Sin
IV. HE DISREGARD GODLY WARNING (Ch. 16)
God warned Samson through several dangers but he gradually lost his conscience.
Those who have thrown themselves out of God's protection become an easy prey to their enemies.
If you sleep in the lap of your lust, you shall certainly awake in the hands of the enemy.
V. HE DELIBERATELY PLAY WITH SIN (4:14)
Many have lost the presence of God and are not aware of it. But when God had departed, we cannot do as at other times.
VI. HE DEPRIVE HIMSELF OF HIS DIVINE BLESSINGS (V. 21-25)
Five things he lost:
1. He lost his hair
2. He lost his eyes
3. He lost his freedom
4. He lost his usefulness
5. He lost his testimony
Strategy used by the enemy:
1. Cutting - They cut his hair
2. Blinding - They blind their eyes
3. Grinding - They force him to grind in the mill
4. Laughing - They laugh at him
The devil want to cut our relationship with God so he can blind us spiritually. Then he will make us slave grinding on the enemies wish as he laugh upon us on our failures.
Thoughts to ponder:
1. Samson conquers others but he cannot conquers himself
2. He set Philistine fields on fire but he could not control the fire of his own lust
3. He killed a lion but would not put to death the passion of his flesh
4. He could easily break the bonds but the s hackle of sin gradually grew stronger on his soul
5. He was remembered for what he destroyed not for what he built up.
6. Due to lack of discipline, his strength and great potential accomplish little.
VII. HE DIED IN FETTER (26-31)
1. The strength he lost by sin, he recovered by prayer (Ps. 51:12)
2. He acknowledge God as the source of strenght
3. He prayed not for personal revenge but from a holy zeal for the glory of God and Israel. He died a martyr.
4. Samson died with honor. However, the fact that God let his champion to die in fetter is a warning to all. To take heed of those lust which wage war against our soul.
5. Is 48:17-18
- All Sermons on Character
- Text Illustrations on Character
- Video Illustrations on Character
- PowerPoint Template on Character
- Scripture on Character
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Judges 16:28-16:28
- All sermons from Randy Bataanon
- Sermons on potential
- Sermons on Samson
- Sermons on Character
Join the discussion