Sermon shared by John Odom
Summary: Three steps God tells us to take in order to fight against sin.
Audience: Believer adults
Out of all the things that are certain one of them is your sins will find you outí.
ILL: This young couple was about to get marriedÖ.
A. Sin will make you do some crazy things, Amen?
1. And we are all infected with it so we have all done some crazy things in our lives.
2. Now granted, some are crazier than others but thatís beside the point.
B. The point I am trying to make this morning is that sin takes us further than we want to go, keeps us longer than we want to stay, and costs us more than we ever want to pay.
1. We know that if we allow it, sin will completely rearrange our lives and take control of our days.
2. Sin is a big problem in all of our lives, so we need to know how to fight back.
C. We can read clearly through the words of Paul that God wants us to fight the good fight of faith, but many people are still loosing this battle to sin.
1. People, God does not want us to be a slave to sin any longer!
2. He did not sacrifice His son for us to just be free from sin.
3. That sacrifice was made for us to be able to overcome that sin as well!
4. And the power to overcome sin comes through the knowledge found in Gods word.
So, how does Godís word tell us to fight against sin in our lives?
Read I Thessalonians 5:19-22
I. You see here that God says to test and abstain from all evil.
A. Now, the King James Version says ďAbstain from all appearances of evil.Ē
1. So this means that it doesnít even have to be a sin necessarily.
ILL: A perfect example is that virgin margarita you order at Chiliís that is ruining your witness with the people that donít know there is not alcohol in it.
2. God is warning us here that just the appearance of sin is damaging in our lives.
B. But here we also see the word prove used.
1. Now, the word prove means to test.
2. So God is telling us to test the things in our lives.
3. Many times we allow things into our minds, our homes, and our churches that shouldnít even be there.
4. We allow satan to weaken our sense of good judgment and we begin to think things likeÖ
a. Just because itís rated ďRĒ doesnít mean it will affect the children.
b. Just because Iím talking about her doesnít mean Iím a gossip.
c. Or, you begin to think that lady in front of you at Wal-Mart does look really good.
C. But God says as these thoughts form, capture them and submit them to the authority of Christ, test them.
II. Next, we must focus on the things that are good.
Read Philippians 4:8
A. This scripture right here shows you how hard headed we really are.
1. God is telling us in black and white just what we are supposed to be focusing on.
2. Itís no wonder we live hectic, stressful, depressed lives.
3. We are many times focused on the wrong things.
4. Things that are not pure and pleasant and we act as if it is not a big deal.
B. But it is a big deal because your witness is the only thing that might keep some people out of hell.
Read II Samuel 12: 13-14
1. You know, thereís no telling how many people are headed for hell right now because we didnít stop and protect our witness.
2. It is very important that we clear our minds and focus on what is pure.
III. Then, we must understand our sin and flee.
A. You know, we find ourselves eye to eye with the same sins over and over again.
1. And that is because
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion