Fighting The Good Fight of Faith
Sermon shared by Gerald Van Horn
Summary: God gave the laws that deal with our warfare.
Audience: Believer adults
About Sermon Contributor
God gave the laws that deal with our warfare. The emphasis is upon those who are unfit to go to battle.
* The Christian life is no bed of roses or a picnic. Many paint a glamorous
picture of a Christian life. The spiritual warfare we are in is not for
* The Christian has a tough foe for we are not fighting against flesh and
blood. Ephesians 6:12. The child of God has three formidable foes:
(1) The world or the world’s system. John 17:14
(2) The flesh. Galatians 5:17
(3) The Devil. I Peter 5:8
The greatest of these is the flesh for Christ has over come the world for us and He has defeated the Devil and put him under our feet. The Christians are more than conquerors. Romans 8:17. It is sad that many Christians are not fit for battle. (These remind us of the parable of the Great Supper Jesus
told of in Luke 14:16-24.)
1. THE FEARFUL. verse 8. The fearful not only harm themselves but discourage other believers who are watching them. Isaiah 41:10 “Fear thou not; for I am with thee. Be not dismayed; for I am thy God. I will strengthen thee; yes I will help thee, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” Psalms 34:4 “I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from my fears.” I John 4:18 “Perfect love caseth out all fear.” 2 Timothy 1:7 “For God has given us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
2. THE HALF-HEARTED. verse 5. Being unsure of our standing with God is a sure way to lose the battle. A complete dedication is what is needed. No man can serve two masters. Romans 12:1-2.
3. THE PROCRASTINATOR. verse 7. We must never hasitate to put God first in everything in our lives. To leave one area out would give the enemy a foothold in our lives. We must deal honestly with other believers. If there is any hurt there must be reconciliation. A mind stayed on Thee is a heart
at peace with God and our fellow believers.
4. THE FRUITLESS. verse 6. In Galatians 5:22-23 all the fruits of the Spirit are listed. They are there to be enjoyed. Our vineyard is under inspection. The nine fruits:
(1) Love- Romans 5:5
(2) Joy - John 15:11
(3) Peace- Isaiah 26:3
(4) Longsuffering - Ephesians 4:32
(5) Gentleness - 2 Corinthians 10:1
(6) Goodness - Acts 11:24
(7) Faith- Luke 17:5
(8) Meekness- Colossians 3:12
(9) Temperance- I Corinthians 9:25
Conclusion: Nothing is more important than winning the battle. “But he that endureth to the end shall be saved.” Matthew 10:22.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion