Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
“GET OFF MY BACK”
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish. He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy he knew would be his afterward. Now he is seated in the place of highest honor beside God’s throne in heaven. Think about all he endured when sinful people did such terrible things to him, so that you don’t become weary and give up.
(I used a backpack with some rocks with the words painted on them of the issues I was dealing with in the message. It was very effective adding the visuals!)
What are some weights that we deal with in our lives? There are several & we could spend the morning sharing with each other all those we each one deal with.
But I want to cover a few that came to me as God begin to lay this message on my heart.
1. WORRY - 1: something or someone that causes anxiety; a source of unhappiness; be worried, concerned, anxious, troubled, or uneasy; disturb the peace of mind of;
Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up. Proverbs 12:25
"So I tell you, don’t worry about everyday life… Matthew 6:25
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Philippians 4:6
"I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give isn’t like the peace the world gives. So don’t be troubled or afraid. John 14:27
2. DISCOURAGEMENT - The act of discouraging, or the state of being discouraged; depression or weakening of confidence; dejection. That which discourages; that which deters, or tends to deter, from an undertaking; the feeling of despair in the face of obstacles.
Now the Spirit of the LORD had left Saul, and the LORD sent a tormenting spirit that filled him with depression and fear. 1 Samuel 16:14
Discouragement is a state of being that is spiritual & the enemy will bring with it depression & fear.
It will stop you from pursuing that which God Divinely designed you to do.
Answer me speedily, O Lord; My spirit fails! Do not hide Your face from me, Lest I be like those who go down into the pit. Psalm 143:7
You ran well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? Galatians 5:7
"But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. Jeremiah 17:7
3. LUST - To have an intense or obsessive desire, especially one that is sexual. To have an eager, passionate, and especially an inordinate or sinful desire, as for the gratification of the sexual appetite or of covetousness; have a craving, appetite, or great desire for…
throw off your old evil nature and your former way of life, which is rotten
through and through, full of lust and deception. Ephesians 4:22
You have had enough in the past of the evil things that godless people enjoy – their immorality and lust, their feasting and drunkenness and wild parties, and their terrible worship of idols. 1 Peter 4:3
For the world offers only the lust for physical
- Growth in Christ
- All Sermons on Growth in Christ
- Text Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- Video Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Growth in Christ
- Scripture on Growth in Christ
Join the discussion