Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
ďTop ten reasons to think of giving as a good thingĒ
1. It shows your TRUST in God to take CARE of you. (8:2; 9:8)
2. It is a recognition of the fact that God OWNS us. (8:5)
3. It helps to make sure that no one GOES WITHOUT. (8:13-15) cf. Acts 4:32-35
4. It is an INVESTMENT with GUARANTEED returns. (9:6)
The stock market has taken a dive over the last 2 weeks.
But what if you were given a tip on a sure-fire mutual fund in the stock market on which you were guaranteed a huge return. How would you respond to that opportunity? You would beg, borrow or steal to find the funds to invest for the privilege of getting involved.
When we put money in the offering plate, we think of it as money gone. But instead, thank of it as an investment. You will see it again, and it will be multiplied many-fold. That makes it a little easier to give.
(Prov 11:24 NIV) One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.
Usually high return requires high risk. With God, there is no risk, but there is high return. (Mat 6:19-20 NIV) "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.
5. It makes God HAPPY. (9:7)
Just because you canít be cheerful about giving doesnít give you justification for not giving.
The cheerfulness doesnít usually happen when you first start giving. It takes a while.
But it really takes a hold of you when you get to see the impact that your giving has on the lives of people.
6. It provokes THANKSGIVING to God. (9:11)
7. It gives evidence that you have truly SUBMITTED yourself to God in ALL things. (9:13)
One preacher of the past has said that the checkbook is the last part of a person to get saved.
8. It is an act of OBEDIENCE to God. (Mal. 3:8-12)
God commands it.
Obedience is a good thing.
Failure to give is actually stealing from God.
God gives a standard for the level of giving that He expects. The tithe equals 10%.
ďI donít like a standard. Iím going to give what I can afford or what I want to give."
You accept standards in other things. In a restaurant, you give at least 10% to the waitress, and thatís if sheís done a bad job. If she did a good job, you give 15%. Many people give more to the waitress who only served them food that she didnít even prepare than they do to the God who made them.
Itís tax time. How would the government like it if you set your own standard for what percentage you were willing to pay on your taxes? They would be sending an I.R.S. agent to your door!
9. It helps to carry on the WORK of God around the WORLD.
10. It puts us in good COMPANY. (8:1-4; 8:9; 9:15)
Other believers (8:1-4); the members of the Macedonian church, the widowís mite, the boy who gave his lunch in order that 5000 might be fed, the ones who have given in order that we might exist as a church and keep on paying our bills.
The Father (9:15)
Each of these persons gave out of limited resources. The believers gave out of their need.
- Giving: General
- All Sermons on Giving: General
- Text Illustrations on Giving: General
- Video Illustrations on Giving: General
- PowerPoint Template on Giving: General
- Scripture on Giving: General
Join the discussion