Title: God Given Authority
Text: Matthew 16:19
Intro: Each and every one of us that have believed on the name of Jesus Christ for our salvation are possessors of the authority of all heaven. Jesus said that we have the keys of the kingdom. Keys represent authority. I have on my key ring a key that will open every door in this building, because I have authority in this place, I can come and I can go. A door is meant as a barrier but once you possess the key it no longer hinders you. We possess the keys of the kingdom, in other words WE HAVE AUTHORITY. Nothing that the enemy of my soul throws at me will deter me, slow me down, or cause me to give up, because I possess the keys of authority. The power of heaven binds what I bind the power of heaven looses what I loose.
I. The Power Source
1. Jesus possesses all authority
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mark 1:22 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for he taught them as one that had authority, and not as the scribes.
- Authority to command wind and waves
- Authority to heal crippled
- Authority to open blinded eyes
- Authority to stop funeral processions
- This is the authority that is made available to us
Matthew 10:1 And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
2. Jesus called his disciples to Him to give them authority.
- They received his authority because of their relationship with Jesus
3. Our Authority is based solely on our relationship with Jesus
- That is why we must maintain that relationship.
- Apart from Christ we are nothing.
ILL. Sons of Sceva
- No relationship with Jesus
- No authority to use His name.
ILL. When I was a kid I would go to the store and get a candy bar and a coke. I would always say, “put it on the bill.” I did not understand that I was using the authority of my relationship with my Grandmother, because she had a charge account there, and would pay the bill for my coke and candy for me. Because of our relationship with Christ we have the authority of His name.
ILL. Heather started kindergarten this year. On one particular Wednesday she left her most prized possession at school. She had taken her blanket to school for nap time and forgot to bring it home. Many tears were cried that afternoon. The school was closed, locked up. She talked to Ms. Danette, but she could not get into the school. Then Ms. Sue, the Vice Principal, heard of the dilemma and went by the school after band practice, opened all the doors, retrieved the blanket for Heather. She got what she needed all because of the fact that she had a relationship with a person of authority.
Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
4. How do I become filled with the fullness of God
A. Our minds pursue Gods fullness through our daily Devotional life.