God is My Help
Sermon shared by Christian Cheong
Summary: God, the Maker of heaven and earth, is our Source of help, and He is fully capable of helping us. What we need is to turn to Him and seek Him. Are you willing to?
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
We all need help in life. We all need God’s help in life.
• Not everyone knows they needed help, like those who are sick but not knowing it.
• They need the doctor to do some tests and tell them what is wrong with them.
• But there are also those who do not want help. They feel that they are alright or they can help themselves.
AVOIDING THE DENTIST
Like a little boy who was asked to see a dentist. He opened the door to the dentist’s office and spoke to the receptionist at her desk. “My mother told me to see the dentist about my bad teeth.”
“Sorry, sorry,” the receptionist responded, “But the dentist is out just now.”
The boy sighed in relief and asked hopefully, “When will he be out again?”
Sometimes we just don’t want the help we most need, because we fear to confront the truth. We want to do what we like.
But the truth is we all need help.
• If you step into a store, you’ll hear this, “Can I help you?” The salesperson knows the store very well and what they are selling.
• Today, if God asks you this question, will you say YES?
The psalmist wrote this song reminding the people that God is our help.
• It is a song of ascent - sing while walking to Jerusalem for festivals.
• In this journey, just as in our life journey, we need God’s help and protection.
Our help comes from the MAKER of heaven and earth.
• Today many worship the heaven and earth – they worship the sun, the moon, and the stars. They worship the creation – the snake, the cow, the tree. Or they worship the works of human hands.
• Why do we want to put our trust these created things and not the Creator?
Listen to what the Lord said to prophet Isaiah – 40:25-26
25 "To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.
26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.
Scientists say there are 7000 stars visible to the naked eye. We can only see 3000 of them at any one place on earth.
• The galaxy earth is in has more than 100 billion stars.
• Suppose these stars were divided up among the world’s total population of 6.9 billion people. Then each person on Earth would receive more than 1 trillion stars!
• There are around 100 billion such galaxies are known to exist.
Stars are actually huge. The smallest star is 5 times the size of earth.
• The biggest is 6500 times bigger. So if one star fells on earth, it will smash the earth.
Think about it. God makes the heaven and the earth.
• What ‘big’ problem are we facing today that is too hard for Him?
We want to worship and trust the Maker of heaven and earth.
• The One who can help us must be greater than us, stronger and wiser.
• We need to cry out to God because He is the SOURCE of our help.
The psalmist says in verse 3: He will not let our foot slip!
• They journey is difficult and they have to walk many days.
121:3b-6 He who watches over you will not slumber;
4 indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The LORD watches over you - the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
6 the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night.
We call on God to help us. The Bible shows us many examples.
• When Moses was facing the Red Sea, He did not call
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion