Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
TEXT: 2 Kings 18:1-8
Transition: Look at 3 things Hezekiah determined that brought prosperity to his life.
I. MAKE A DETERMINATION TO WORSHIP
A. He determined to do right in the sight of the Lord (v.3)
1. Ahaz evil
2. Only 3 other kings compared to David:
Josiah, Jehosaphat & Asa
B. He determined to worship the Lord in spirit and truth (v.4)
1. Reopened the temple (2 Chron. 29-31)
2. Reinstituted Passover (extended 7 days)
3. Revival ensued
4. Sought to bring Israel together in unity to
C. Comparison to Us & Church vs. Hezekiah
1. If we desire to have the Lord with us, we
must determine to do right in the sigh of
the Lord. No matter what the world
2. “Seeker-friendly” vs. “God-seeker”
3. Examine our worship - Moses’ brass serpent
which once the Lord had used to bring
salvation to the Israelites had become a
TRANSITION: We’ve talked about the first part of our formula for prosperity in the Lord which is making a determination to worship Him first and foremost and secondly we
II. MAKE A DETERMINATION TO TRUST (v. 5)
A. Hezekiah Trusted the Lord
1. to the point that he made an impression
on the world around him.
2. Hezekiah wasn’t “problem free” either
3. He knew where to turn to when things got
tough (2 Ki. 19:14-16)
B. Compare our Trust to Hezekiah’s
1. Christians shouldn’t have problems - bah
2. John 16:33 “33“These things I have spoken to
you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the
world you have tribulation, but take courage; I
have overcome the world.”
3. Who do we turn to when the going gets
READ: Luke 8:22-25
Sea of Galilee, which is actually a lake large enough to look like a Sea.
Disciples, some of whom were seasoned sailors, were terrified. They had weathered many storms, but they were convinced on this occasion that they were finished.
Jesus slept. They were irritated, and finally awakened Jesus. They told Him, "We’re going to drown!"
We all, like the disciples face storms during our lives.
C. The first is simply....storms happen.
Living on the Gulf Coast we know that when Hurricane Season comes we have the potential for a major storm to come and wreck havoc at any time. The same goes for our lives....we have times when the circumstances seem out of control or at least to a stage that we don’t know how we are going to be able to handle it.
B. The second fact about storms is how we handle them.
ILLUSTRATION: Get Greg to come up and let me lean on him. 2 Ways - One I look like I’m putting my weight on him the 2nd way I really lean on him risking his moving away and me falling
1. Some of us are “masters” at handling
storms, others don’t handle them so well.
2. Many times the outlook of the disciples
toward their circumstances are the same as ours. They were initially:
frightened, panic stricken,
thinking only of themselves and of what seemed to be imminent death.
3. Inwardly, they were as troubled as the
C. We can choose to allow God to mold us. BITTER or BETTER??
ILLUSTRATION: Toothpaste in a tube. Battle with Liver Disease
1. My first reaction when
- Growth in Christ
- All Sermons on Growth in Christ
- Text Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- Video Illustrations on Growth in Christ
- PowerPoint Template on Growth in Christ
- Scripture on Growth in Christ
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to 2 Kings|Luke 18|8:1|22-18|8:8|25
- All sermons from Deborah Prihoda
Join the discussion