Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
* We have just read an extended portion of scripture because we needed to keep perspective on the events which are unfolding. The church has been raptured away. The saints & all residents of heaven are in high worship while the residents of earth are experiencing hell on earth. Jesus has opened 6 seals and with each seal things have become progressively worse. Picture the progression.
* Millions are caught away in the rapture so chaos comes to the earth. The first seal is opened and a charismatic leader steps forward on earth to bring a peace. Yes, it is a peace but it is a peace at any cost, a false peace, and a temporary peace. This is the only kind of peace which this leader can offer. When everyone on earth doesn’t buy into his world wide program of peace, in heaven the second seal snaps and the peace is now replaced with war. The same leader who was so ‘peace-minded’ is now turning up the heat on those who are not getting in line with his policies and programs so he unleashes his army (he’s the only one who is left with this kind of power) on the dissidents. This war takes its toll on life & property. On earth, many are dead & the land is wounded, in heaven the 3rd seal is broken, and famine follows. Multitudes go hungry and suffer mal-nutrition. Then the 4th seal comes and almost 3 billion people are dead.
* Earth is more like a ‘planet-graveyard’ a death factory because finally, God’s judgment has come. With the 5th seal, those who have been killed for their faith in Christ are seen in heaven.
* The earth-dwellers are probably thinking ‘how much worse can it get?’ and I will say this to you, “Judgment has just begun!” God is bringing judgment so He can redeem this world. This is still God desire, to redeem. God is not willing that any should perish according to Peter so, in His holiness, He mete out judgment so that redemption can be possible. In our text, we see God’s hand extended. From our extended text, let me walk us through 5 thoughts which points to redemption.
1. A Shaking of the People – Why or how in the world is the 6th seal (an earthquake) God extending His hand of grace. Throughout the previous 5 seals, the attitude on earth is based on pride, arrogance, and human ingenuity. Their hearts are cold, calloused, and calculating. With the sixth seals the Kings, commanders, ‘great’ men, the ‘rich’ men, the free men, and even the slave comes face to face with the truth that God is in control.
* Most of us remember the “Left Behind” series of novels, written by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Johnston. While those we terrible theology, they were phenomenal reading that made people aware of the end times in Biblical terms. Thinking about the earthquake from the 6th seal, Tim Lahaye tells the story that several years ago he was ask to address the Lion’s Club in San Diego. As he, a preacher, stood to speak everyone kind of had a ‘ho-hum’ attitude. A few minutes later they had a small earthquake where the ground shook, the chandeliers swung to and fro, and the lights flickered. Tim said, “Now I had their undivided attention.” When we get ‘shaken’ things change.
* Think of the aftermath of 9/11. For 3
- All Sermons on Grace
- Text Illustrations on Grace
- Video Illustrations on Grace
- PowerPoint Template on Grace
- Scripture on Grace
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Revelation 6:12-7:10
- All sermons from Jerry Watts
- Sermons on saving
- Sermons on sealing
- Sermons on shake
Join the discussion