Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Introduction: When a nation turns their back on God, God sends judgment. Some time ago Billy Graham said it well, "If God does not judge America, He is going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah." I believe that we are standing on the very brink of judgment from God. When God does send His judgment we need to understand that that judgment will start with the House of God which has failed to be the salt and light that it has been called to be.
I. THE CAUSE FOR JUDGMENT
A. God is a God of mercy but His justice and righteousness demand that sin be dealt with properly.
1. Nahum 1:3 The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.
2. Psalms 11:4-7 The LORD is in His holy temple, the LORDíS throne is in heaven: his eyes behold, his eyelids try, the children of men. The LORD tries the righteous: but the wicked and him that loves violence his soul hates. Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup. For the righteous LORD loves righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.
B. The Example of Israel in Ezekiel 8 Ė "Look at what they are doing"
1. They Provoked God to Jealousy
a. Ezekiel 8:5 MKJV And He said to me, Son of man, lift up your eyes now to the way of the north. So I lifted up my eyes the way toward the north, and behold, northward at the gate of the altar the image of jealousy was at the entrance.
b. Isaiah 42:8 I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
c. God is not content to be a part of our lives God wants to be the center of our lives. He will not accept halfhearted allegiance or divided devotion. God will never accept the notion that He has to share our love and worship with anyone or anything else.
d. Deuteronomy 6:5 You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all you soul, and with all your might.
e. I will worship with all of my heart. I will praise You with all of my strength. I will seek You all of my days. I will follow all of Your ways. I will give You all my worship. I will give You all my praise. You alone I long to worship. You alone are worthy of my praise. Ė Ruis, David, Youíre Worthy Of My Praise © 1986 Maranatha Praise, Inc. / Shade Tree Music (Maranatha! Music) CCLI License No. 754427
2. They Ignored Godís Presence
a. Ezekiel 8:4 MKJV And, behold! The glory of the God of Israel was there, according to the vision that I saw in the plain.
b. Jeremiah 5:22a MKJV Do you not fear Me? Says Jehovah. Will you not tremble at My presenceÖ?
c. "A former park ranger at Yellowstone National Park tells the story of a ranger leading a group of hikers to a fire lookout. The ranger was so intent on telling the hikers about the flowers and animals that he considered the messages on his two-way radio distracting, so he switched it off. Nearing the tower, the ranger was met by a nearly breathless lookout, who asked why he hadnít responded to the messages on his radio. A grizzly bear had been seen stalking the group, and the authorities were trying to warn them of the danger. Any time we tune out the messages God has sent us, we put at peril not only
- Sin: Punishment of
- All Sermons on Sin: Punishment of
- Text Illustrations on Sin: Punishment of
- Video Illustrations on Sin: Punishment of
- PowerPoint Template on Sin: Punishment of
- Scripture on Sin: Punishment of
Join the discussion