Summary: On this Good Friday, we are going to meditate upon Christ’s Words from the Cross, with the prayer that they will reveal to us something of the amazing grace of our Lord Jesus.
GOOD FRIDAY - CHRIST’S WORDS FROM THE CROSS
Note: This Good Friday, we had a special combined worship service with us (Beausejour Community Church), St. Ouen’s Country Church, and Elim Baptist Church. Pastor Jeff (Elim) and I taught on Christ’s Words from the Cross, and Pastor Darrell (St. Ouen’s) led our communion time at the end of the service).
INTRO TO MESSAGE: PASTOR CHRIS:
“Behold what manner of love the Father has lavished upon us…” (1 John 3:1).
Today, we are going to meditate on God’s love by looking at the Cross:
BIG IDEA: On this Good Friday, we are going to meditate upon Christ’s Words from the Cross, with the prayer that they will reveal to us something of the amazing grace of our Lord Jesus.
QUOTE: “It is fitting that every word of our Lord upon the cross should be gathered up and preserved. (They) have frequently been the subject of devout meditation.” (Charles Spurgeon).
THE FIRST FOUR WORDS: PASTOR JEFF:
1. THE FIRST WORD: FORGIVENESS:
“Then Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” (Luke 23:34).
• The first word speaks FORGIVENESS to us. Amazing grace!
• The Good News of the Gospel – through Jesus death on the Cross, we are forgiven!
2. THE SECOND WORD: SALVATION & HOPE:
“Then one of the criminals who were hanged blasphemed Him, saying, "If You are the Christ, save Yourself and us." But the other, answering, rebuked him, saying, "Do you not even fear God, seeing you are under the same condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we receive the due reward of our deeds; but this Man has done nothing wrong." Then he said to Jesus, "Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom." And Jesus said to him, "Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise." Now it was about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour.” (Luke 23:39-44).
• This second word speaks HOPE – it’s never too late, and no one is ever too far gone!
• If you’re believing God for the salvation of a family member, never give up.
3. THE THIRD WORD: FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS:
“Standing near the cross were Jesus’ mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary (the wife of Clopas), and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw his mother standing there beside the disciple he loved, he said to her, “Woman, he is your son.” And he said to this disciple, “She is your mother.” And from then on this disciple took her into his home.” (John 19:25-27).
• This third word speaks about the importance of FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS.
4. THE FOURTH WORD: SUBSTITUTION:
“Now from the sixth hour until the ninth hour there was darkness over all the land. At about three o’clock, Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matt. 27:46).
• This fourth word speaks of SUBSTITUTION.
• On the Cross, Jesus became our substitute, and took our sin upon Him, and gave us His righteousness. (2 Cor. 5:21).
• Because God forsook Jesus on the Cross, God will never leave or forsake us!
THE LAST THREE WORDS: PASTOR CHRIS: