Guideline #9: GIVE GENEROUSLY OF GOD'S RESOURCES
Sermon shared by Michael Luke
Summary: A healthy church is a giving church. God is the owner. We are just the stewards.
Denomination: Christian/Church of Christ
Audience: Believer adults
About Sermon Contributor
SERIES: “GOD-GIVEN GUIDELINES FOR GROWING A GREAT CHURCH”
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 9:1-15
TITLE: Guideline #9: “GIVE GENEROUSLY OF GOD’S RESOURCES”
(Bulk of material from Bob Russel’s When God Builds A Church and a sermon on this text also by him)
INTRODUCTION: A. Ten Reasons Why I Never Wash
1. I was forced to wash as a child
2. People who wash are hypocrites – they think they’re cleaner than others
3. There are so many kinds of soap, I could never decide which was right.
4. I used to wash, but it got boring.
5. I wash only on Christmas and Easter
6. None of my friends wash.
7. I’ll start washing when I’m older.
8. I really don’t have time.
9. The bathroom is too cold
--(Or too hot)
10. People who make soap are only after your money
B. Those excuses sound pretty silly when you’re talking about washing your body.
1. But to be honest with you, I’ve heard every one of those excuses used by people
who don’t attend church.
2. And #10 is a very popular excuse: The church doesn’t care about me. They only
want my money.
C. I’ve been preaching since I was 15.
1. I’ll admit in those early years that I didn’t preach very often
--Maybe once or twice a year
2. But the one thing that remained consistent through the years is that I have rarely
preached on money and finances.
D. Giving is a “dreaded subject” for several reasons:
1. The reputation of Television evangelists
--Television evangelists have a reputation for exploiting people financially.
a. That statement is not universally true, but it doesn’t really matter.
b. The media has so stereotyped televangelists that we want desperately to
disassociate ourselves from them.
c. Wayne Smith tells about a farmer who called the office of Southland
Christian Church in Lexington, KY where he was senior minister for 40 years.
The farmer asked to speak to the Head Hog at the Trough.
The receptionist said, “If you’re referring to our senior minister, you may
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion