Hearers of the Word
Sermon shared by Gary R. James
Summary: How to know you effectually hear God’s word.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
A. He who has ears to hear let him hear
B. The doctrine of hearing God’s word is presented
C. Four kinds of hearers
1. Christ focuses on the last kind of hearer – those to whom effectual hearing that brings understanding.
D. Deut 8:3 … man lives by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
E. Matt 4:4 … "It is written, "’Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’"
F. Eph 6:17 … the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
II. It must be given to a sinner to hear the word of God with understanding
A. Why speak in parables
1. Matt 13:10 Then the disciples came and said to him, "Why do you speak to them in parables?"
B. Because understanding is not given to everyone
C. But it has been given to you
1. This does not mean it is instantaneous
2. Mark 4:13 … "Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables?
3. Jesus teaches his disciples
4. John 6:45 … ’And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me—
III. Those who hear with understanding live changed lives
A. Take care how you hear
B. No one lights a lamp to put it under cover
C. God did not light you for you to live under the bed
1. John 4:34 … "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.
2. Matt 5:13 "You are the salt of the earth, …
3. 2 Cor 3:2 You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on our hearts, to be known and read by all.
D. Those that hear with understanding more shall be given
E. To those that do not, what little they think they have shall be taken
1. James 2:17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
2. Works not born by faith is dead
F. Fruit 100 fold
1. The trees of the garden do not bear fruit for its own benefit, but for the glory of its gardener
G. Sometimes doing means not doing
IV. Those that hear obediently, are in the family of God
A. Those who hear the word of God and do them are my mother and brothers
1. John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion