Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Is anyone willing to share what you learned from your dad?
What do we Learn from our Fathers?
One of my most vivid memories growing up was when we would go camping and my dad would have me pick up our campsite and he would tell me to íleave it better than we found it.í That became kind of a life philosophy for me. Leave it better than you found it. I guess you could say he taught me responsibility.
Thereís so much that dads do that make us what we are today, whether it was dadís discipline, teaching us right from wrong, encouraging us (1 Thess. 2:11-12), teaching us hard work, .
Itís unfortunate that dads donít get a lot of credit for what they do, and in todayís culture with high rates of divorce and children born out of wedlock the role of fathers has become minimized, virtually to the point where they are seen as unnecessary anymore. Theyíre viewed as only good for bringing home the bacon, but if mom can make just as much money as dad, what good are they now? People donít even think twice nowadays about raising children without a father. I read this week where the number of children living at home without their biological father is around 34.5% (over one out of every three). And whatís even more unfortunate is that dads arenít seeing their own importance and their own God given responsibility, and are choosing not to play a significant role in their childís life.
According to fatherhood.org which cites several studies; they have found that children raised in a fatherless home are:
É∆ Five times more likely to be poor
É∆ More likely to turn to crime and end up in jail
É∆ Increased chance of early sexual activity and pregnancy;
É∆ Alcohol and drug use
É∆ Twice as likely to drop out of school just to name a few
In terms of spiritual practices or faith habits, such as attendance at worship, another study found that fathers make a significant impact on their children. If both your parents worshipped with you regularly while you were growing up, thereís an 80% likelihood that youíll worship God regularly as an adult. However if only your mother worshipped regularly with you, thereís only a 30% probability that youíll worship regularly as an adult. If only your father worshipped regularly with your dad, the likelihood that youíll worship regularly as an adult increases to 70%! What that tells me is that dad has a great influence on us in our faith walk with the Lord.
Is a father important? I believe the answer to that question is a resounding, yes! Even a secular news magazine recognized the importance of fathers. The cover article in the February 27th, 1995 issue of U.S. News & World Report concluded that:
"More than any other factor, a fatherís presence in the family will determine a childís success and happiness."
This isnít to say moms arenít important in our faith. Last month, on Motherís Day, I shared about the influence motherís and grandmotherís have on their childrenís and grandchildrenís faith. We looked in the Bible at Timothy and the influence his mother and grandmother had in his faith upbringing which eventually led him to come to faith in Jesus Christ, and then become a missionary even though his dad was not a Christian (2 Tim. 1:5; Acts 16:1-3). Obviously moms play a significant role, but children, as a general rule, tend
- Commandments: Parents
- All Sermons on Commandments: Parents
- Text Illustrations on Commandments: Parents
- Video Illustrations on Commandments: Parents
- PowerPoint Template on Commandments: Parents
- Scripture on Commandments: Parents
- Related Sermons
- Sermons related to Ephesians 6:1-6:4
- All sermons from Matthew Stoll
- Sermons on fathers
- Sermons on Parents
- Sermons on honoring
Join the discussion