Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
How Can the Lord Help Us When Our Actions Speak So Loudly People Are Not Hearing What We Want To Communicate?
Quote: I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Illustration:Tuned In and Pulled Off The Knobs
The story is told of a man who once bought a new radio, brought it home, and placed it on the refrigerator. He then plugged it in, turned it to WSM in Nashville (home of the Grand Ole Opry), and proceeded to do the most unusual thing. He pulled all the knobs off! He had already tuned in all he ever
wanted or expected to hear, and so he chose to limit his radio reception to one station.
The following are few Biblical guidelines for learning what we can do to minimize negative actions that hinder Christ like communications.
1. Learn new ways of being a better communicator. Be willing to grow up in all aspects into Christ not just the ones that appeal to you. It is easy to follow the Lordís advice in areas where your lifestyle already is in line with the teachings of Christ. However, everybody has aspects where they need to grow in love, faith, purity, wisdom, courage, knowledge, evangelism skills, disciple-making abilities or Biblical wisdom. James writes, "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what is says. (James 1:22) Many Christians are deceiving themselves into thinking that they are not guilty of many sins of omission, sins of disposition or sins of faulty assumptions. Misbeliefs are common problems are reflected in ways we may not understand.
Allow the Lord to help you get godly counselors to show you how to overcome some of your deficient means and methods of communication.
2. Be aware of the messages you are sending with your facial gestures, voice tones or body language that do not communicate love. Paul writes, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (I Cor. 13:1,2)
We are not only responsible for what we intend to communicate by also how others understand what messages we actual convey.
Be willing to make adjustments to communicate to people of each generation according to their norms. Become all things to all men so that by all means you can influence people for Christ. (I cor. 9:19-27)
3. Everyoneís faith is known more by their actions than by their empty words. James writes, "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith, but has no deeds? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead." (James 2:14,17) Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men that they can see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matt 5:16)
4. Even if you faithfully attend church, but have not grown in your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness faithfulness or self-control, something is lacking in your obedience to God. Furthermore, unless the Lord is giving you new converts, new disciples
- Friendship: General
- All Sermons on Friendship: General
- Text Illustrations on Friendship: General
- Video Illustrations on Friendship: General
- PowerPoint Template on Friendship: General
- Scripture on Friendship: General
Join the discussion