Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
Illustration:Leadership is the discipline of deliberately exerting special influence within a group to move it towards goals of beneficial permanence that fulfills the groupís real needs.
Dr. John Haggai, Lead On!.
Everyone knows how difficult it is to associate with people who rely on faulty assumptions and prejudices. Jesus once said to the Pharisees, "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites!
You give a tenth of your spices, but you have neglected the more important matters of the law - justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel." (Matt. 23 :23,24)
The Lord seeks to correct the hypocritical attitude that assumes God can be pleased by observing microscopic issues while neglecting the macroscopic matters of greater importance. Jesus was the Master at identifying, correcting and changing faulty assumptions.
Illustrations:On one of his European tours, the master magician and locksmith Harry Houdini found himself locked in by his own thinking. After he had been searched and manacled in a Scottish town jail, the old turnkey shut him in a cell and walked away. Houdini quickly freed himself from his shackles and then tackled the cell lock. But despite all his efforts, the lock wouldnít open. Finally, ever more desperate but completely exhausted, he leaned against the door--and it swung open so unexpectedly that he nearly fell headlong into the corridor. The turnkey had not locked it.
Harold Kellock, Houdini.
1. Jesus knew that many people are not even aware of their faulty assumptions. The Lord said, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brotherís eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?í (Matt. 7:1,2)
A family of five was rushed to the hospital to have their stomachs washed out after the cat with whom they had shared a meal of mushrooms suddenly began to have stomach contractions. While members of the family showed no signs of illness, the doctor still had them rushed to the hospital. When they returned home they found the cat feeling well, after having produced five kittens.
England Post, in Homemade, April, 1989.
2. Jesus is not suggesting that we should remain naive about otherís faulty assumptions, but that we should begin by correcting our own sins of omission, sins of commission, sins of wrong disposition and sins of erroneous assumptions. James writes, "If anyone knows the right thing to do it but fails to do it, for him it is sin."
Illustration:The photographer for a national magazine was assigned to get photos of a great forest fire. Smoke at the scene hampered him and he asked his home office to hire a plane. Arrangements were made and he was told to go at once to a nearby airport, where the plane would be waiting. When he arrived at the airport, a plane was warming up near the runway. He jumped in with his equipment and yelled, "Letís go! Letís go!" The pilot swung the plane into the wind and they soon were in the air. "Fly over the north side of the fire," yelled the photographer,
- Sin: Deceptive
- All Sermons on Sin: Deceptive
- Text Illustrations on Sin: Deceptive
- Video Illustrations on Sin: Deceptive
- PowerPoint Template on Sin: Deceptive
- Scripture on Sin: Deceptive
Join the discussion