How To Be a Vibrant Overcomer
Sermon shared by Paul Fritz
Summary: Recognize that God has made every a believer an overcomer through Christ. Paul wrote, "For our sake we are killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Ro
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
Recognize that God has made every a believer an overcomer through Christ. Paul wrote, "For our sake we are killed all day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us." (Rom. 8:36,37) Thank God for giving you a new identity as an overcomer of sin, death, and hell.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you appropriate all the aspects of your new nature to conquer any challenging circumstance, person or problem.
2. Study the lifestyles of great overcomers throughout the Bible such as Paul the apostle. Here was a man who lived most of his Christian life attacked, oppressed and threatened by all kinds of evil forces, but successfully overcame all things through Christ. Paul wrote,
"As sorrowful yet always rejoicing, as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing and yet possessing all things." (2 Cor. 6:10)
Paul knew that Christians have to be able to live with the perplexing quandaries of irony. Even though many circumstances made it appear that Paul lived most of his life as a defeated, dejected and discouraged person, inwardly he was able to remain an overcomer of all problems through Christâs power.
Application: Trust the Lord to help you follow the example of Paul the apostle who successfully saw through the ironic adversities to become better rather than embittered.
3. Follow the formula given in scripture in utilizing the power of goodness in overcoming any form of evil. Paul wrote, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Rom. 12:21) The Lord inspired Paul to write that promise that good will always triumph over evil ö every time and in every situation.
Application: If you ever feel yourself doubting that good will win out meditate on this wonderful promise. Trust the Lord to help you to overcome evil by initiating good in every conversation, assignment and thought.
4. Call upon the Lord within you to help you overcome whatever is challenging you to give in to the worries, riches, pleasures, troubles or temptations of this world. John wrote, "Greater is He who is in you than He who is in the world." (I John 4:4) God is greater than ANY problem.
Application: Stop doubting and call upon the Lord through a song, a prayer or a reference to scripture that reminds you of Godâs omnipotence. Trust the Lordâs mighty power to be bigger than any of your doubts, temptations or self-destructive desires.
5. Remember Jesus Christ the greatest overcomer. Jesus said, "In this world you have tribulations, but be of good cheer because I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) Whenever you feel like giving in to your subjective feelings of discouragement, hate or apathy, remember that Christ paved the way for you to overcome any problem 100% of the time. Just as Christ conquered sin, through the power of the Holy Spirit you are able to fight the good fight of faith and come out a champ.
6. Let the Lord fight the battles for you ö stop trying to conquer your obsessive ö compulsive desires in your own strength and wisdom. Zeph. 3:17, "Not by power or by might, but by my Spirit says the Lord of hosts." Too many people fail to grow up in to all aspects in Christ because they are trying to be successful in human terms with man made strength and cunning.
Application: Trust the Lord to empower, enable and inspire
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion