Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
What prevents us from living our life to the fullest? Distractions.
1. We lost sense of our purpose in what we are doing - gotten into a rut and not fully aware of what we are really trying to achieve.
2. We lost touch with our priorities - not clear what is really important; having distorted values of things.
A group of tourists was taken through a tour of the great cathedral of St. Peters in Rome. As the tour ended the guide asked if there were any questions. A voice from the back of the crowd asked, "Has anyone been saved here lately? Isn’t that the reason it’s here?"
That’s the million-dollar question. Isn’t that why we are here?
To proclaim the Gospel of Jesus so that at least some would be saved because of you?
How can I truly live my life to the fullest - making the best use of my time and without regrets?
From Mark 1 - reflecting on Jesus’ life - I find these 2 keys - purpose and priority.
To stay focused on the right track, we must constantly pose ourselves these 2 questions:
(1) the question of PURPOSE, and (2) the question of PRIORITY in all that we do.
And keep doing that - because we may not be distracted today, but can’t tell if we can remain so focused the next month...
LOOK AT JESUS in these few verses.
( I ) JESUS IS CLEAR ABOUT HIS PURPOSE
Therefore he isn’t swayed by Peter’s appeal.
• When you know your purpose, you’ll be able to NO to other demands
• It was in fact a noble demand - the people (most likely the sick, demon-possessed, and more...) - they are looking for Jesus’ help.
• To help the sick and weak is a good thing - the right thing to do. Yet Jesus said, "Let’s go..."
He said, "...so I can preach there also. That is why I have come." (v.38)
• What is this THAT here - preaching the good news of God (1:14-15)
• 15"The time has come. The Kingdom of God is near. Repent and believe the good news!"
You see, Jesus is not a faith healer. His primary mission isn’t to heal or impress.
• Our primary mission today is not to HEAL or have more healing campaigns, even tho’ it’s good
• Jesus’ mission, and our mission, is the redemption of souls, not bodies.
• Mt 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
• Mt 16:26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?
• Mt 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
Jesus is clear about His purpose; therefore He can say NO to other things.
Ours is a purpose-driven life. We NEED A CLEAR FOCUS.
Every believer must find out what it is that God wants him to do.
• God will not ask you to do everything.
• Paul says, “This one thing I do…” (Phil 3:13). Paul has a clear focus.
Can we clearly articulate our focus or purpose in life?
THE LION SHOW IN A CIRCUS
Someone said that the trainer goes into the cage of lions with a ship and a stool. He points the legs of the stool at the lions because it has been discovered that this confuses them.
In order for a lion to pounce, it has to focus on one point. When it sees 3 legs in front, it loses focus.
- Disciplines: General
- All Sermons on Disciplines: General
- Text Illustrations on Disciplines: General
- Video Illustrations on Disciplines: General
- PowerPoint Template on Disciplines: General
- Scripture on Disciplines: General
Join the discussion