HOW TO STAY OUT OF TROUBLE
Text: Proverbs 4:20 – 27
· Some people think that good things happen to people by chance
· Failed to realize that bad choices lead to trouble
· Proverbs 13:5 – “…the way of the transgressors is hard.”
· Why make life any harder than it has to be?
· Advice on how to make good choices and avoid trouble.
A. Guard your heart (v. 23)
· OT heart meant more than just emotions; also personality, will, and inner thoughts
· Luke 6:45 Jesus explained that the heart is the source of our words and actions, and therefore is the key to controlling behavior
· Need to fill heart and mind with things that will edify and glorify God
· Romans 12:2 and Philippians 4:8
B. Control your tongue (v. 24)
· Froward = habitually disposed to disobedience and opposition
· Perverse = turned away from what is right or good
· Luke 6:45 Mouth reveals what is in your heart
· James 3:5 – 8
· Need to avoid gossip, slander, crudeness, cursing, profanity, negativity, lies
· Need to edify brothers and sisters, witness to the unsaved, glorify God
C. Focus your eyes (v. 25)
· Blinders on a horse
· Don’t allow yourself to become distracted with the temptations of the world
· Psalms = many times warning about envying the wicked and lost
· Look for Christ’s return
· Titus 2:11 – 13; Hebrews 9:28
D. Guide your feet (vv. 26, 27)
· Ponder = should think about where we go
· If our feet take us to ungodly places, places where people are perverse and disobedient, places where God is mocked and his laws are ignored, soon we will be walking down the wrong path with the wrong people
· Stay on the strait and narrow
· Let God’s Word guide your path
· Proverbs 3:5,6; Psalm 119:105
· vv. 20 – 23
· Proverbs are not a guarantee; just generalizations about how things should work in a perfect world
· The idea is to minimize trouble in our lives by following the principles in Scripture and to trust God when it does come
· What kinds of things are you filling your heart and mind with?
· What kinds of things have been spoken by your tongue this past week?
· Are you focused on Christ’s return and living a holy life, or the things of the world?
· Are you trying to live according to God’s Word or just wandering aimlessly off the path?
· Unsaved: Romans 10:8 – 10