Staff Picks of the Week:
Memorial Day 2013
Memorial Day 2013 Preaching Bundle »
Greater Love Video Illustration » Everlasting God Worship Music Video »
Sabbath Sabbath Preaching Bundle »
1 Outta 7 Video Illustration » Before The Throne… Worship Music Video »
A. What is your attitude towards the work of the Lord?
1. Every Christian should be interested in the growth of the Lordís work
2. We should be doing all we can to help build up the Church.
B. Ezra and Nehemiah had a zeal for the Lordís work
1. Ezra wanted to restore the Temple after the return from captivity.
2. Nehemiah wanted to rebuild the Walls of Jerusalem.
3. Both faced tremendous opposition to this great work.
C. Satan has a Mandate to Stop the Lordís Work
1. He wants us to stop or slow it down as best he can.
2. He will use every method he can to make that happen.
3. He is an expert in hindering the spreading of the Gospel, and he will even use professing Christians to accomplish that.
I. SATANIC LIES Ezra 4:2
A. The offer of help from Godís enemies
1. Satan is very crafty and cunning - always has been since Eden - lies & half-truths
2. The enemy always seeks to slip in to take over the work of the Church
3. Paul warned that grievous wolves would devour the flock - Acts 20:29-31
4. So watch out and be on your guard - not all "helpers" are there to help.
B. We are tempted to compromise with Satan and his cohorts
1. But we make a serious mistake when we do - in doctrine, or on any other matter. His agenda is very different from ours! We build up - he tears down.
2. Satan is like a roaring lion, and his aim is to discourage and defeat, and he will have many counselors vv.4-5 No shortage of people to get his work done.
3. We must use discernment, know our enemy and stand against him - v.3; Eph.6:17
II. SLANDEROUS LETTER Ezra 4:11-16
A. Satan will not give up easily in his efforts to stop the work of the Lord
1. If Lies donít work, maybe slander will - against the work and workers
2. Expect it - he will drag up dirt, and instill fear and use scare tactics to win people over. This is what he does here in the letter to Artaxerxes.
3. He uses rumor and innuendo to circumvent the work of God.
B. Nehemiah also received a slanderous letter from Sanballat & Tobiah 6:5-9
1. Let us consult together - meaning compromise and murder vv.10-13
2. Is it not amazing what so called religious people will do to stop you from doing the Lordís work - resort to all kinds of character assassination attempts.
3. Nehemiah is not deterred - and the wall is completed.
4. We must do the same - keep on doing the Lordís work - and Satan and his followers will have no answer to that. I Cor.15:58
III. SOVEREIGN LORD Ezra 6:6-16
A. Sometimes it seems that the enemy has succeeded in stopping Godís work
1. Sometimes it seems the evil one wins
2. For 15 long years the work was delayed because of the Kings decree which forbid it to continue
3. But just as Nehemiahís wall was completed, so was Ezraís temple.
4. God raised up the prophet Haggai and challenged the people to resume the
work they had earlier begun - Ezra 5
5. Darius issues a decree allowing the temple to be finished - 6:6-8
B. Godís work can sometimes be delayed by the enemy, but it cannot be forever stopped.
1. Our Sovereign Lord will intervene and give us the victory over Satan
2. This is the message of Acts and Revelation
- OT Leaders
- All Sermons on OT Leaders
- Text Illustrations on OT Leaders
- Video Illustrations on OT Leaders
- PowerPoint Template on OT Leaders
- Scripture on OT Leaders
Join the discussion