I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO GOD
Sermon shared by Gerald Flury
Summary: Allegiance is defined as the loyalty owed by a subject to his or her sovereign. Synonyms for allegiance are loyalty, commitment, adherence, faithfulness and duty.
Audience: General adults
About Sermon Contributor
DEUTERONOMY 10:12-15 "AND NOW, ISRAEL, WHAT DOES THE LORD THY GOD REQUIRE OF THEE, BUT TO FEAR THE LORD THY GOD, TO WALK IN ALL HIS WAYS, AND TO LOVE HIM, AND TO SERVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART AND WITH ALL THY SOUL,  TO KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF THE LORD, AND HIS STATUTES, WHICH I COMMAND THEE THIS DAY FOR THY GOOD?  BEHOLD THE HEAVEN AND THE HEAVEN OF HEAVENS IS THE LORDíS THY GOD, THE EARTH ALSO, WITH ALL THAT THEREIN IS.  ONLY THE LORD HAD A DELIGHT IN THY FATHERS TO LOVE THEM, AND HE CHOSE THEIR SEED AFTER THEM, EVEN YOU ABOVE ALL PEOPLE, AS IT IS THIS DAY."
Allegiance is defined as the loyalty owed by a subject to his or her sovereign. Synonyms for allegiance are loyalty, commitment, adherence, faithfulness and duty.
I. The meaning of allegiance
A. Fearing the Lord
1. Psalms 33:8 "Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him."
2. To fear means to reverence and honor, to hold in high esteem, to respect.
3. Jim Elliot wrote "In reading the Scriptures, I find a great moral power. Therein am I made aware of two great forces for good in human experience: the "fear" of God and the "grace" of God. Without the fear of God, I should not stop at doing evil; the fear of God restrains from evil. Without the grace of God, I should have no desire to approach positive goodness. The one is a deterrent from evil; the other an encouragement to good."
4. Romans 3:18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes."
B. Walking in His ways
1. Psalms 86:11 "Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name."
2. Psalms 119:1 "ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD."
3. Tozer - To many Christians, Christ is little more than an idea, or at best an ideal--He is not a fact. Millions of professed believers talk as if He were real and act as if He were not. Our actual position is always to be discovered by the way we act, not by the way we talk.
4. God didnít call me to find fulfillment in the quantity of my work for him but in the quality of my walk with him.
C. Loving Him
1. Deuteronomy 6:5 "And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might."
2. Matthew 22:37-38 "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.  This is the first and great commandment."
3. C. S. Lewis (1898-1963) A manís spiritual health is exactly proportional to his love for God.
D. Serving Him with heart and soul
1. Psalms 100:2 "Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing."
2. I Thessalonians 1:9 "For they themselves show of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;"
3. Ignatius of Loyola - Teach us, good Lord, to serve Thee as Thou deservest: to give and not to count the cost; to fight and not to heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labor and not to ask for any reward save that of knowing that we do thy will.
E. Keeping His commandments
1. Ecclesiastes 12:13 "Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."
2. 1 John 2:3 "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments."
Comments and Shared Ideas
Join the discussion