IN ALL THINGS GIVE THANKS
INTRO: Thanksgiving is the time of year when we pause and give thanks for
the Blessings of that year. Some of us may have more to give thanks for than others have, but we all have some things in common to give thanks for.
I. THANKS TO OUR FOREFATHERS.
A. We need to pause a few moments and give thanks to our
1. Without their sacrifice, our freedom would not be what it is
2. They put their lives on the line, that we might enjoy our
B. They paused in their busy lives to give thanks to God.
1. First Thanksgiving in 1621 (Plymouth Colony). It lasted
a. First corn crop gathered.
b. Indians Provided turkeys.
2. In 1623, after drought, another thanksgiving was observed.
a. By 1630 day of observance was established.
b. In 1863 President Lincoln issued a proclamation setting it
on 4th. Thurs.
c. 1941, congress declared it a legal holiday.
d. We should need no legal reason to give thanks.
II. GIVING THANKS IN ALL THINGS.
A. Do you give thanks to God for each day that you live? (Psalm
50:14; 95:2; 136:2).
1. For each breath that you take?
2. For your good health?
B. Do you give thanks to God when He has to chastize you? Or just
when He blesses you?
III. ABOUNDING IT THANKSGIVING.
A. Moffat says: "Fixed and founded in Him, confirmed in the faith
as you have been taught it, and overflowing with thankfulness to
B. Abounding means: In Abundance!
1. As we give thanks in abundance, God will bless us in even
2. We can’t abound if we are not walking with Christ.
CONC: "Be rooted in Him; be built in Him, be consolidated in the faith you were taught; let your hearts overflow with thankfulness" Colossians 2:6-7, NEB.